Macbook Pro Server???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dimme, Mar 10, 2010.

1. dimme macrumors 65816

I may be getting a Macbook Pro 2006 for next to nothing. I have a Santa Rosa Macbook Pro so I do not need another laptop, also the screen is starting to show it's age. I was thinking of turning it into a home/torrent server. Would there be any issues letting this thing run 24/7?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Should be ok as long as you don't run it plugged in 24/7. Every few days, run it on battery for a while and remember to calibrate every month or so.

3. FnuGk macrumors regular

well this doesnt matter if all the machine is gonna do is being plugged in anyway.

Im gonna do the same thing to the netbook (asus 1005HA) im using right now once the new mbp's are ready :)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, it does matter. If you don't care for your battery, it will die. If you try to run plugged in without a battery, performance will suffer. Even if you plan to use it as a desktop, you still need to maintain the battery.

5. FnuGk macrumors regular

what do you mean performance?

the laptop itself should not get any slower because of the battery?

it is however true that the battery will degrade a lot faster if it doesn't get to run through a cycle every now and then

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Listen to the man, he speaks truth.

8. FnuGk macrumors regular

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, I did. If your battery dies completely, you may not be able to boot, even plugged in. It's such a simple process to care for the battery, that it's foolish not to. Why even argue about it?

But, hey, it's your MBP. Turn it into a paperweight if you want. I don't care.

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I can't remember if it has the integrated battery or not, but if you plan to use it long term plugged in, it might be worth removing the battery and storing it somewhere cool. Look at other websites for more detail re best charge level to store it at, and where.

I'd definitely look after the battery, as you are almost certain to want to use it as a spare laptop if anything happens to your Santa Rosa laptop. (stolen, drop, liquid spill, or breakdown). Or sell it in the future if finance becomes a problem. Or pass it to a future family member / partner for their use, should they need it.

Running an Apple laptop as server has certain issues - you may need to find an app or two to stop it from going to sleep when closed, and without any externals plugged in.

11. m85476585 macrumors 65816

How about a light timer for battery maintenance. Like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D8VIKE/

Set it to be "on" 23 hours a day and "off" 1 hours a day, or something like that. Calibration isn't necessary for battery health-- it just keeps the indicated health accurate.

12. dimme thread starter macrumors 65816

WOW that is a fantastic idea. I have a few extra timers laying around the house. I may give that a try.

13. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

For any heating issues, could set a dedicated heat sink laptop cooler system up for a few bucks.

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No he doesn't.
    It won't ruin the battery in anyway. Batteries wear down over time. The computer WILL boot even without a battery (although it does downclock the processor). The processor speed isn't super important in a server set up like the OP wants. The computer will be fine running 24/7 as long as there is good airflow.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it will absolutely shorten the battery life to leave it plugged in all the time.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The OP asked "Would there be any issues letting this thing run 24/7?" The answer is: Yes! Shortening the life of or destroying a battery is an issue. Whether the OP considers it an important issue is another matter. Just because you may not agree doesn't change the facts.

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Oh no! So after four or five years he may have to buy a new battery if he wishes to replace his more recent laptop with an old one with a bad screen?! Sounds like the OP is in big trouble.

19. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Your battery will eventually die... But that won't affect anything. The battery will show up as dead in the menu bar (assuming you have the battery status showing). That generation mbp tends to run hot so some cooling might be in order. If I were you, I would sell it and get a mac mini instead since you already have a good portable.