MacBook Pro Shared L2 Cache + Screen Questions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Schmoyer, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Schmoyer macrumors newbie

I am weighing out options between the different variations of the MacBook Pro. I noticed the 2.4GHZ processor only had 3MB of L2 cache and the 2.5GHZ processor has 6MB. I assume the GHZ different to be basically undetectable but I was wondering if the doubled L2 cache would make a difference? Basically, which would you guys recommend, etc.

Also, I know there are two screen "finishes" and was wondering which was preferred and if there were any downfalls to one or the other.

Thanks!

2. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I changed from a 2.4 to a 2.5 and though it may be in my head. I am sure the 2.5 is faster.

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

duh its .1 ghz higher clocked and has an extra 2mb (i'm assuming you're refering to the 2.4 memorn that has 4mb l2) of cache of course its faster:p

4. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Actually it was 2.4 Current MBP, with 3 mb cache also I have a 2.6 SR 17" and it s on par with that.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

ah, well, with double the cache sure its going to feel faster

6. wk127001 macrumors member

Depends on the application. I imagine certain applications such as video editing make much better use of a larger cache than say, firefox. In reality, the difference is probably almost negligible. There are some benchmarks floating around the web on it so I'd search for those.

I'm a programmer so I like the matte, but its definitely personal preference.