Macbook Pro Shipping Seems To be Changing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soccerplayaatl, Jun 20, 2008.

1. soccerplayaatl macrumors member

I have been browsing this forum as well as Appleinsider in hope of finding some information about a new refreshed Macbook Pro (whether it is just a performance upgrade or a case redesign). Before you say anything, this is not one of those "Should I wait or Should I buy now?" I plan on waiting to get the latest and greatest if it comes out while I can get the iPod Touch. Otherwise, I will get the base model Macbook Pro as that properly suits my needs. I do not need it instantly so I can afford to wait.

I read somewhere that the FIRST sign to a refreshed Macbook Pro is when shipping starts to slow down. The best sign is obviously if a special event is announced, but that will probably only come after a slight shift in shipping.

On the forums, I am starting to see people being confused that their Macbook Pro is shipping from Shanghai rather than from a distribution center in North America. These people seem to have purchased stock laptops which should be in a distribution center to begin with.

So I think this might mean that the supply levels at the main distribution center is starting to deplete, causing these laptops to come directly from Shanghai. I could be completely wrong but I am just trying to connect the dots.

Any information regarding this shipping slow down will be great. Please dont fill the thread with "buy now if you need one" or "buy later if you can afford to wait." There are at least 50 threads on that, and I dont want this one to turn into that as well.

I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say as well. If the people who have recently purchased a Macbook Pro online would post if it shipped from Shangai or locally and if their laptop is stock or not, that will be great.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'll be the first to admit that my crystal ball is in the shop, so I have no idea when they'll release an updated MBP. I do know, however, that a great number of MBPs are manufactured and shipped from Shanghai, including most BTOs that I've heard of. I don't think that's necessarily an indication of diminished supply levels, but rather Apple's normal distribution process and good inventory management. It's always better economics for a company to build to order, rather than maintain high inventory levels, as the Dell business model demonstrated so well.

3. soccerplayaatl thread starter macrumors member

You are definitely right about being a good business model. However, at the same time, they probably have to have SOME stock in their inventory for stores, and some purchases. Shipping in bulk will always be cheaper than shipping one product at a time. This is small to Apple but they offer free shipping when buying a laptop, so they are taking a miniscule bite as well.

The BTO laptops make sense to come directly from Shanghai. Apple would not want to stock up on specific BTO laptops as that sounds stupid in my opinion. However, it makes sense that there should be some stock of Macbook Pros. The fact that the stock laptops seem to be coming from Shanghai is what is starting to make me think.