Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigRose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Northern VA, USA
I thought Apple products were assembled in the US. I ordered a MacBook Pro and its being shipped from China. Am I mis-informed? or is this due to a "pending" new release of the macbook pro?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It's shipped from Shanghai, while the iDevices are shipped from the southern city of Shenzhen (near Hong Kong).

If MBPs are assembled in the US you will see a $3,000- price tag for 15". :D

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Where are all the apologists for moving jobs out of the US? Usually they immediately post about how bad US workers are, how iPods would cost $1000 if made here, etc.

Perhaps they are pulling other duty today. Mending suicide nets, dumping waste into the nearby river, using Garage Band to come up with another company song for tomorrow morning's 4 am company songfest (the theme is "glorious wonderfulness of Foxcon and its benevolent and wise leadership").

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Very few computers are actually assembled in the U.S. any more, or even consumer electronics of any kind. It's all from the Far East.
Even the ones built here are their built to order models, at least that how it is with the high end Sony Vaio like the F or Z for ex.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
Very few computers are actually assembled in the U.S. any more, or even consumer electronics of any kind. It's all from the Far East.

A lot of military electronics hardware is built in USA. A lot of farming equipment electronics is also built here

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
America, like most of the western world, has outsourced the vast majority of its manufacturing.
All current apple products say: "Designed by Apple in California"
"Assembled in China"

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
MacBook Pro ships from China?

I thought Apple products were assembled in the US.

They are assembled in China, but some ship from inside the US. My MBP shipped from PA to Northern VA, according to FedEx. It was a BTO but a popular one (they had a few popular configurations on the top of the "Configure your MacBook Pro" page, you could just select one and several options were changed, 7200rpm drive, with HR Glossy was mine.) so I think they sent a number of pre-built MacBooks to the US to be stored until ordered to cut down on shipping time.

Is your MBP a BTO?

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
All MacBook Pro's are assembled in China by cute little Chinese girls

GirlWindows.jpg

stylewriter

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2004
Johnson City, TN
Manufacturer of what? Electronics?

The US is the largest manufacturer of stuff measured in dollars. Most European countries have been barely keeping their heads above water for some time while 2008 was the only year the US declined in production in over a 100 years. China will become the largest manufacturing economy, but they have ten times the population of the US, so that makes sense.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-...e-rise-of-manufacturing-costs-in-china-2010-7

http://investing.curiouscatblog.net/2011/01/04/top-15-manufacturing-countries-in-2009/

wct097

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
Where are all the apologists for moving jobs out of the US? Usually they immediately post about how bad US workers are, how iPods would cost $1000 if made here, etc.

Perhaps they are pulling other duty today. Mending suicide nets, dumping waste into the nearby river, using Garage Band to come up with another company song for tomorrow morning's 4 am company songfest (the theme is "glorious wonderfulness of Foxcon and its benevolent and wise leadership").

I personally believe that it has little to do with the workforce and everything to do with the government and politics. The US is simply too expensive to do business in. Between unions, taxes, healthcare, and a huge multitude of legal issues, it's just too cost prohibitive to do business here.

Here in Virginia, by EPA mandate, we're going to be charging all property owners a fee based on the size of the land they own and it's potential to wash grass and organic debris into the river and ultimately the Chesapeake Bay where it causes algae. That's right, owning land is now environmentally unfriendly and businesses, especially manufacturing businesses get to foot the bill with zero regard to any environmentally friendly things they do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.