Macbook Pro Shorting out when Pluggin in and removing Charger.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rayrayrr, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Rayrayrr macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,
    Hopefully someone can help me here :)
    Basically it started 2 days ago, i plugged a charger in to test it and it shorted out when i removed it.
    Now my laptop does not charge or run off the AC adapter without fiddling/shorting it out again.

I should mention the macbook has been very well looked after...
    no water spills no drops.

Macbook runs fine on Battery, everything else works fine besides charging or running solely off the AC.

Here is a video i found on youtube with the exact problem.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Pg96FG-hs

I've had the DC board replaced, still no luck. tried other chargers and nothing.
    the magport light just does not come on. multiple SMC resets.

Someone on another forum said that i have a "hot ground" and had probably blown a FET or multiple FETs on the logic board. I would usually take this to apple but since my macbook is now out of warranty they will want 800+ in AUS to replace a new one. (ive removed the logic board and looked for visible damage but it looks clean.)

Macbook details.
    late 2011 Macbook Pro
    i7-2.2GHz
    Serial: C02GW0WCDV7N

Thanks in advance.

2. GSPice, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013

GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Have you tried running the Apple Hardware Test?

I'm wondering if it's possible that the battery may allow internal discharge, but not charge. I suppose that wouldn't explain the magport light not lighting up.

Sometimes I go for the complicated solutions too quickly; maybe try replacing the battery?

3. Rayrayrr thread starter macrumors newbie

Ill give the hardware test ago, ive gone as far as disconnecting the battery and trying to power on the machine via the AC adapter and it does nothing :(
    as soon as i connect the battery again it works fine... just not being able to charge or run off the adapter unless i get it to short out first. weird

4. Rayrayrr thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing came up in hardware test.. :(
    might go taking it down to the apple store, see what can be done.

5. reidras macrumors newbie

If you have not already, try resetting the SMC. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

You could also try to see what happens when you plug in the MagSafe adapter with the internal battery disconnected. This may be a long shot, but is worth a try if you don't mind opening your computer.