Macbook Pro should I get the screen replaced?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mtfield, Jul 5, 2008.

1. mtfield macrumors 6502

So, about two moths ago my screen on my 6 months old mbp developed a big (by big I'm exaggerating, but it was very noticeable) glowing spot in the middle of the lower third of the screen. I took it into apple after i couldn't get over staring at this spot. and they replaced without any hassle in about a week. (they had to order the part) So I get the computer back and they replaced the whole screen (top clamshell) part of the computer. Looked great and I was very happy. However less then two months later this screen has developed the same glowing spot just more on the left hand side.. it bothered me, but not enough to take it back and be without it for a week again.. however i've been noticing more and more recently that when the computer wakes up occasionally the screen is completely washed out. If i close the lid then open it again it is usually back to normal. And then on top of that I've noticed that the top right hand corner of the screen where the aluminum around the screen meets the outside top of the computer is lose and wiggles slightly. It is all leading me to believe that i should take it back to apple and get the screen replaced again... I'm at a time of the year where I could get by without the computer for a few days... so what do you guys think? am i thinking too much into this, or should i expect that the screen on this $3K+ computer should not have these issues? thanks for any thoughts! (btw I am still well within applecare)

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

3. mtfield thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea... thanks for the boost of confidence... Do most people have these problems with their mbp screens? or am i just an unfortunate one? hah

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There have been some screen issues, but no, "most people" don't have problems
    Hopefully yours will be corrected soon and you will be a happy camper again!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd take it back as often as necessary until they get it right! I wouldn't settle for anything less than flawless quality, until I have a chance to put some serious wear and tear on it through everyday use. You don't always get what you pay for, unless you insist on it!

6. mtfield thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, I agree with all of you.. I do love apple products and, like most of you guys, have a plethora of them. I had problems with my original iphone screens and ended up getting it swapped out numerous times, and now with my macbook's screen i'm beginning to think screens just aren't my friend haha.. well thanks for your guys input. I think I'll make an appointment to take it in right after the 11th so that I have a chance to sync my new iphone to the computer. thanks again!

Hey guys one more thing.
    Do you think if I took it in for them to replace do you think if i asked they would install a matte screen instead of the glossy one that is currently on there? It doesn't seem like it would cost them any more or anything.. but i'm worried they would think i was doing this just to get the different screen type... I'm a student in filmmaking and sadly when i bought the computer i didn't look into the difference between the screens i just knew that glossy looked better, but didn't think what that meant to me in the long run... now i regret the choice... anyway what do you guys think?

My glossy screen on my mbp has some defects and i plan to take it back to get it replaced (for the second time! :mad:)Do you think when I take it in for them to replace do you think if i asked they would install a matte screen instead of the glossy one that is currently on there? It doesn't seem like it would cost them any more or anything.. but i'm worried they would think i was doing this just to get the different screen type... I'm a student in filmmaking and sadly when i bought the computer i didn't look into the difference between the screens i just knew that glossy looked better, but didn't think what that meant to me in the long run... now i regret the choice... anyway what do you guys think?

7. crobbins macrumors 6502

It may depend on the store about the Glossy to Matte question. Unfortunately, it seems pretty unlikely that they would do that. It never hurts to ask though!