MacBook Pro shuts down on low battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eatrains, Apr 17, 2008.

1. eatrains macrumors regular

I have a MacBook Pro (Mid 2007) that abruptly shuts down on a low battery instead of giving me a warning and going to sleep. It only recently started doing this. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a solution?

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

3. Skystar macrumors 6502

Well if he used it until it shutdown, isn't that the same as calibrating the battery? That is if he started with 100% capacity. Since you say its only been doing this recently, your battery may be going bad. Did you check your battery's health with iStat or coconut battery?

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

No, draining the battery to empty isnt the full procedure of calibration.

Once the computer is off, you MUST leave it for at least 5 hours shutdown/sleeping before recharging. Its been this way for all Intel macbook(pros) and a few models of Powerbook G4s.

5. Skystar macrumors 6502

Didn't know about the 5 hour part. Thanks. I had a PowerBook G4 that shutdown randomly without warning once and a PMU reset helped. Maybe the OP can try a PRAM reset as well.

6. eatrains thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going to try calibrating the battery tonight. CoconutBattery says that I have 24% of my original capacity (1399/5600), that the battery has cycled 119 times, and that my computer is 11 months old.

7. bcaslis macrumors 68020

You've got a bad battery. Go to an Apple store and they should replace the battery free. I had a MacBook Pro with a similar battery problem and that's what they did.

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I believe they only have a 12 month warranty on the battery, as apple considers things like batteries consumable. So best to get it checked before 12 months if calibration doesnt work.

edit:
    "Notebook Owners

Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. You can extend your replacement coverage for a defective battery to three years from the date of your notebook purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan. However, the AppleCare Protection Plan for notebook computers does not cover batteries that have failed or are exhibiting diminished capacity except when the failure or diminished capacity is the result of a manufacturing defect. For MacBook Air owners, Apple offers a battery replacement service. You can purchase replacement batteries for late models of Apple notebooks directly from the Apple Store."

9. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Your battery is dying.

I had the same problem with mine. When the battery was down to 30 or 40% it would shut down without warning. My MBP had less than a year so I had it checked and apple replaced the battery.

10. bcaslis macrumors 68020

There was a whole batch of bad batteries that Apple issued a notice on. It's likely his is one. There was a range of serial numbers that Apple listed but when I went to the store and explained my issue, they didn't even check. They replaced the battery on the spot with no questions.

11. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Thats a mismatch. As others have said, you've got a bad battery. Head to Apple Store.

12. eatrains thread starter macrumors regular

I just remembered that I had saved an early coconutBattery result. Since March 26, my battery's capacity has gone from 57% to 24%. Does that seem right at all? I'll see if the calibration does anything.

13. aquajet macrumors 68020

Contact Applecare. The battery is faulty. Don't waste your time trying to calibrate. It won't help.