Macbook Pro shuts down when unplugged

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gleddy, Jul 25, 2008.

1. gleddy macrumors newbie

Hi,

My macbook pro has just started doing something strange.

I can charge it up to full capacity (which is working, I tested with Coconut Battery and all seems normal) but when I removed the plug from the notebook it just clicks and shuts down.

If I try to reboot (while still unplugged) it will try to reboot and then after 2 seconds clicks off again as if I were to hold down the power button for an emergency shut down.

All is fine once I connect it to a power source though.

Any suggestions on trouble shooting this? or past experiences?

thanks!

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Sounds to me like you have a bad battery. How old is your computer. A lot of people have this problem. I would call Apple or go into the Apple Store.

3. ocbaud macrumors member

logic board

on my old powerbook g4 i had the same issue almost.

if i unplugged the power while the system was on, it would just shut off like yours is doing.

though i could get mine to run on battery power, if i plugged hte a/c adapter in while the system was running on battery power, it would also just shut off.

4. gleddy thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies

guess it's off to the mac shop for diagnosis then... groan. Never a good or quick experience, so here's crossing my fingers.

5. johnmacfan macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with my macbook pro, I went to my local apple store and got a new battery for free. You just have to make an appointment with the " mac genius ". hope that helps

6. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

I always thought macs were to be superior to other laptops, but after reading this I guess not. They may be faster, but they all have hardware problems. Good luck with your mac mate, at least you'll get a free battery!

7. deltaiscain macrumors regular

You probably have a faulty battery. Have it replaced. If you are still under warranty, it should be free.