MacBook Pro shuts down when unplugging... battery fine!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MIDI_EVIL, Mar 16, 2012.

1. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

I have a MacBook Pro (late 2008), which for the last two months, has been shutting down when unplugging. This doesn't happen on every instance, but probably around 75% of the time. This can happen with either a full battery, or anything less. It has no difference.

The battery has a 241 load cycle, and the system profile is: Normal.

I have done numerous PRAM and SMC reset.

I have an appointment with a 'genius' this Sunday, but over the last few days it seems to have temporarily stopped happening.

Another symptom is that if it doesn't switch off when unplugging, it switches off if I move it...

Is this familiar to anyone?

I have videos to show Apple, incase I can't replicate the fault...

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

did you check the battery connector hasnt come loose?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you calibrated your battery recently? This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery/power/charging issues. Resetting it will not help. Only resetting the SMC addresses such issues.

4. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Hi!

Yes, I tested the battery seating. It was ok... and the problem persisted.

AppleCare tech support think it could be an issue with the logic board, which has already been replaced once already...!

----------

Thanks,

I try and do a battery calibration at least once a month. I tried this as soon as the issues arose, but unfortunately they continued.

I did a PRAM and SMC reset as advised by Apple tech... how strange.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's possible they didn't replace it properly.... loose connector, etc. I'd certainly have them check it out.

I'm not surprised. As I said, the NVRAM/PRAM doesn't relate at all. It's important to remember than "Genius" is only their job title, and not necessarily an indication of their knowledge, experience or expertise. :)

6. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

You're probably right. It does seem as though it could be something that's loose.

What bothers me is that it's already had a logic board replacement, they think it may be the same problem!

I have professional work to get done!!!

7. MIDI_EVIL, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Update: for anyone who contributed or read my thread...

Well, I've just had my second logic board replacement, and the symptoms still persist. Still random. Still shutting down.

The new logic board, a nice 2.66 ghz upgrade from 2.53, had the flickering screen issue with the 9400. After a EFI firmware update this seems to have been fixed.

I've managed to speak directly to a senior technician at Apple, and if it has one single issue more, they will replace the machine!

There are two new problems now, the audio output jack is very loose, and I can only display 7.75GB of RAM when it was previously displaying 8GB... :(

The machine is off with Group 8 in the UK for a third repair...

8. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

UPDATE 2:

Well, I got my machine back from Group8 today, and the same problems persisted. I also had bad pitting under the machine due to a chemical reaction with the aluminium.

I contacted the Senior Apple Technician in the UK who said it was unacceptable and is now replacing my machine with a 2.2 Quad i7!

I'm over the moon!