MacBook Pro shutting off after logic board replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noriyori, Jul 22, 2009.

1. noriyori macrumors member

I tried to post this in the Apple support forums but their post option is missing...

Anyway. I was having graphical issues with my MBP(lines, garbled pixels on icons, etc.). After Disk Utility repairs and finally a complete re-install of Leopard I took it into the Genius Bar. They couldn't recreate the problem, as you need to use it consistently for about 30 minutes for the problem to start, so they never fixed it. I got it home and the problem consisted (of course, since they didn't do anything). I took it back in last week and the genius who helped me just put the order in to replace the logic board and not to try to replicate it.

I got the MBP back yesterday and they had replaced the board and now all of my graphical issues are gone. However now at completely random times, plugged into power or not, it will just turn off. Not sleep. Completely turn off. I hit power and it boots back up just fine. It doesn't seem to be related to any particular application either. Any suggestions?

As it's a 2 hour bike ride to the nearest Apple store, I'd like to figure out a way to fix this without having to go back out there for a third time.

My specs are:
    2 GHz Intel Core Duo MBP 15''
    ATI Radeon X1600
    2 GB RAM
    Leopard 10.5.7

Also, the techs left the 'Blank Board Sanitizer' disk in my optical drive. If that could help me...

Thanks for any help!!!

2. miiles macrumors regular

Sorry to say it, but I would just take it back.

3. henhowc macrumors regular

I've had similar behavior with my macbook pro but it ended up being a faulty battery. In your particular case though, it doesn't sound like that's the issue. That being said, just in case it might have something to do with the battery...if you take out the battery and keep it plugged in, does it still happen?

Also, if getting to an Apple Store is difficult, you may try the Applecare phone support route. If Apple determines that your system requires service they'll ship you a box so that you can ship your Mac out to a service center (all free of charge). The whole process took less than a week when I did it. Pretty much the same amount of time it took when I got repairs done at the Apple Store as they do next day shipping both ways.

4. noriyori thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to arrange a call with them before I shlep it back out to the Apple Store.

5. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Problems with computer crashing with blocky pixelation on

I think I'm dealing with something similar. I recently had an issue where my MacBook pro wouldn't start up - it just kept chiming. I sent it into Applecare and they replaced the logic board. I received it last Wednesday from Apple.

But now, increasingly often, when I turn the computer on from sleep, the computer seems to be in a crashed state. I can move the mouse around but nothing is reacting when I click. And there is always some sort of blocky pixelation across the screen. I can shake the computer a bit and then have it go dark on me and then come back. I've attached pictures of what I'm talking about here

Attached Files:

6. noriyori thread starter macrumors member

The problem sounds similar. I had similar graphical glitches but after my logic board replacement the glitches went away and the machine just started turning off. I think I've isolated this to happen when I wake up from sleep or when it's been on the screen saver for a long time. It happens regularly just not all the time. Which is hard to have the Genius bar diagnose when it's so sporadic.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yeah, sorry to say this, but from personal experience the replacement of the logic board has always been the "kiss of death" for me and my many Macs. I don't know why Apple thinks that the replacing of the logic board is a godsend and the ultimate cure for anything relating to your exact issues. Sorry, but a trip back to the Apple Store might be your only option.....:(:(:(

can you take a screenshot? (Shift+Command+4)....

8. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I want to find other threads on this topic, but am not sure what to look for. I feel I got lucky finding this thread. If I was to call applecare, any suggestions on what exactly to say to describe what's going on?

I'll try next time, but I feel as if you couldn't because though I can move the mouse around, nothing reacts.

Yeah, same here.. I think it's when the computer has been asleep for a little while. damn.. I wonder if I can recreate it if I schedule an appointment. I'll just keep taking pictures and hope they'll believe me... but I've been having some bad luck w/ my MacBook pro lately and keep getting separated from it.

But it's interesting that yuors started before the logic board replacement, mine started right after.