MacBook Pro shutting off unexpectedly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tia97, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Tia97 macrumors newbie

MacbookPro early 2011
    Running OS X Yosemite 10.10.1

Hi all I've had my laptop since 2011 and have not had any problems until today. Monday I upgraded the 4gb or ram to 8gb. It has been working fine. However today it just started shutting down out of nowhere. I ran the hardware diagnostics (d) on startup and it said no errors. Everytime I turn it back on I get anywhere between a minute and 10 mins before it does it again. I finally booted into safe mode to be able to look around. It has been an hour and it hasn't turned off which leads me to believe it is a software issue?? I'm really not sure what to check. I don't recall downloading any new software lately.

Any ideas?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

One word: Radeongate.

Search around the forum for Radeongate.

3. aquilc macrumors member

Remove the recently added RAM Chip and see how the Mac goes without it. Is it the same frequency like the chip which originally came with it?

It is recommended that when one is adding and/or replacing an RAM chip, one would use a chip which is identical to the original chip which came with the computer.

Also check that the RAM Chips are seated properly. It looks like the issue is intermittent so most probably it might be a case of a loose connection (eg. hard rive not connected properly, and/or loose cable).

I would check for a loose connection first. If nothing like that is present, remove the newly added RAM and see what will happen.

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Not if it's a 13"