Macbook pro silver key is missing a nipple

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by selloutt, Mar 19, 2011.

1. selloutt macrumors member

Hey guys my macbook pro 2ghz 2g ram 80 gb hd 15" lost a key and a nipple. I have the key, what is the easiest way to replace the nipple ?

2. LoneI2anger macrumors newbie

thats the rubber thing right? not the plastic bracket? probably ebay =/

3. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I would try the genius bar and ask real nicely, maybe even offer to pay. I had a key come up missing once on my 2008 non-unibody pro and went into the store and talked to the genius. He went in back and came out with the key replacement, no questions asked. It is worth a try, and yes I did have Apple Care.

4. ricky1989 macrumors member

5. movieboy23 macrumors regular

Unfortunately when it comes to the rubber tip, or the "nipple" as you called it, that cannot be replaced. It is glued to the keyboard and its nearly impossible to glue back on again. Usually it requires that you replace the entire keyboard. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I have yet to see someone successfully replace the rubber part of a key on a keyboard and I've been replacing keyboards for quite some time.

Good luck.

6. selloutt thread starter macrumors member

7. selloutt thread starter macrumors member

Hey Movieboy can the keyboard of a 15" 2.33 fit a 2.5ghz ??

8. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

Shouldn't be a problem as long as they were from the same generation of MacBook Pro and have the same keyboard layout.

9. selloutt thread starter macrumors member

So i wound up gluing the nipple back on. Seems to be working GREAT

10. movieboy23 macrumors regular

As Kyzelios said, if the keyboard is from the same generation of MBP, then it should work. I don't know which MBP models you're comparing so I can't give you any more definitive advice than that. Are these both the silver-key MacBook Pros?