MacBook pro single user socket not connected error

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chubs31, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Chubs31 macrumors newbie

I have ben having a terrible time coming to the bottom of my MBP mid 2009 growing list of problems. I was not able to start the computer as the apple icon and spinning wheel would not progress to the desk top.

I then placed the os x disk into the drive and had attempted verify and repair in the disk utility, which failed due to error listing invalid lie volume or something like that.

Went to single user mode where I got disk0s2: I/O error..... Not sure wha that means. Which appeared over and over till the following error appeared.

Launchctl: please convert the following to launchd: /etc/Mach_init.d/dashboardadvisory.plist

Launch msg(): socket not connected

What in the world is this? Please help AppleCare expired 2.5 weeks ago and I'm working on this solo.

Thanks for your help!!!

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Sounds like a failed hard drive. Refer to this thread: http://hintsforums.macworld.com/showthread.php?p=697307

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Use Apple hardware test to help narrow down your problem.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

On your MBP the test is on the secondary restore disc, I believe it is marked "additional applications."

Enable looping and run the extended test for a few hours or overnight. If you've got a hardware issue, those should find it.

4. Chubs31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I attempted to run the extended test, however it freezes after roughly 8 mins. I have un multiple "short" passes which come back without problems.

I am not inclined to trust the short passes, but am stuck as the extended run freezes consistently around 8 mins. Any further ideas? I think I am just going to break down and order a new hard drive.

Thanks for your continued ideas!

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It freezes or is just not responsive? During the extended test, it may appear to be locked up, but it's actually just very thorough testing. Let it run overnight and see if it completes a full loop.

6. Chubs31 thread starter macrumors newbie

You are correct! It just took a very long time. It ran for 4 hours, for one extended pass. It reported no troubles found. I was all set to get a new hard drive, however now I'm wondering if that is needed.

I tried to boot from the iOS CD, and it loaded in triplicate on the screen, making it impossible to use.

I'm rerunning single user mode, and will rerun hardware check overnight. Any other thoughts now that first extended pass was without trouble?

THANKS!!