Macbook Pro Size question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kymac, Jun 5, 2007.

1. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

my graduation and eighteenth birthday are next week. and i want a new mac. definatley a macbook pro, but im nervous about the size. Both my mom and my ten year old brother have 12 inch ibooks, and i love the size and portability. I'm going to see if monday brings an ultra portable, but if not, does anyone find the size of the 15 inch a hassle? I'm a graphic designer and plan on majoring in that in college this fall, so i like screen space, but i have an imac for that. are the macbook pros heavy? hard to get around? thanks everyone.

2. Winterfell macrumors regular

Personally, I find the smaller screens too small. They don't have as much screen real estate as I'd like, and typically support smaller resolutions than I would like as well.

So, I ended up going with the 15" MacBook Pro and I couldn't be happier. It offers a nice combination of space and resolution. The 17" would just be too big for me.

It's really not heavy at all, and I have no problem throwing it, the power adapter, a mouse, and a pair of headphones in a bag.

If you are really concerned, drop by a Mac Store or something and check out the weight and see if it's comfortable for you. That's the best way to decide anyway.

3. RaMaz macrumors regular

RaMaz

4. weeman macrumors 6502

My cousin has a 15" and that is too large for my tastes. I would say get one of the newly updated macbooks...its big, but not too big.

5. kymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

kymac

meh. i find the macbooks gross. i'm not fond of the looks and the keyboard. im pretty set on a mbp. its just the question whether i go now. or wait for smaller.

6. weeman macrumors 6502

In that case, wait til WWDC...I am hoping SJ busts out a 13.3" MBP or an ultrathin macbook and make everyone go nuts.

7. Wallace86 macrumors regular

15 or 17

....would i be able to get away with tugging a 17" around to my classes 4 takin notes? ....if im paying 3 grand for a mac it might as well have the Xtra real-estate... right...?? or is the 15 sufficient/good for movie viewing? please amaze me with ure wisdom...:D

8. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

I personally find the 15" MBPs to be a bit large for a portable, if portability is really your goal. Some people use portables as their main machines, in which case, the extra screen size is something you may enjoy on a daily basis. For me, a portable is a secondary computer and portability is the key word.

All that said, I think a 13.3" MBP would be ideal, but I'm not holding my breath!

9. weeman macrumors 6502

I would say if you plan on lugging a laptop around, go for the 15". My friend has the 17" and takes a class with me and he tells me its a hassle and if he could do it over, he would buy the 15". Its all up to you though, go to an apple store and compare the two, that should help you decide what you want. If it were me, I would get the 15".

10. kymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

kymac

thanks everyone for your replies. except wallace86. he obviously came to make friends in this thread today.

11. falsecathedrals macrumors member

I'm sort of in the same boat. I'm starting grad school very soon and I'm getting a new laptop in a week or so. I'm going to have to walk or ride a bike back and forth to school every day (about a mile) and wanted a smaller computer, so I had been eyeing a blackbook for a while until the new MBP revision.

I have up to 2,000 to spend (from my parents) and should get the best computer I can for the money but I wish the MBP was more portable.

Would I be crazy to get a blackbook instead of a new SR MBP?

12. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Unless you're a film or graphic design major, the macbook is definitely better for a student. The size is perfect for taking to class for notetaking (and AIM in boring classes lol). Plus you can take it to the library if you need to do homework, or you can take it to a friend's room if you're just chillin in there.

I have a 12'' ibook and I just finished my freshman year and it's been a perfect computer for taking to class.

13. kymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

kymac

yea, im going to be majoring in graphic design, so a macbook isnt really up my alley.

14. Wallace86 macrumors regular

wtf is that supposed to mean