Macbook Pro Skin + Hard Plastic Case???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fadingdreams, Aug 27, 2007.

1. fadingdreams macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried putting on one of those skins like Applepeelz on the macbook pro and then putting on a hard case like the Speck SeeThru Case? I was wondering if the Speck case would fit on the mbp once the skin is on....I know that's a lot of protection from scratches and such but I like keeping my stuff in good condition...

Thanks!

2. andriella macrumors member

I used to have an Invibsible Shield (basically the same thing as ApplePeelz) on my Macbook, and a TechShell (basically the same thing as the Speck case).

It was REALLY difficult to remove the TechShell when the IS was on, and if I remember correctly, there were odd marks where the IS was pressing up against the TechShell. I took the IS off and have just used the TechShell since, and everything has been perfect with my Macbook case; it still looks brand new.

Having both is overkill, one is quite sufficient. I would go with just the Speck case, personally.

3. fadingdreams thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean by "there were odd marks where the IS was pressing up against the TechShell"....as in it scratched your macbook? Or it just scratched the IS? Thanks again :)

4. andriella macrumors member

There weren't any scratches anywhere. It just looked like a mositure mark where the InvisibleShield was pressing up against the TechShell, which happened because there just wasn't enough room in there.

I wish I had a picture to explain it better, but I don't.

Bottom line is that the Speck case will be too tight if you have the ApplePeel on there too.

5. jlusic@aol.com macrumors newbie

Speck case

How do you get the speck case off? thanks

6. fadingdreams thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your help, andriella. Much appreciated!

7. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

too many scratches, sold mine the next day .....

8. Iced Angel macrumors regular

I wanted t order a "speck case" for my 15" inch macbook pro, but I've read somewhere that they don't fit the Core 2 duo macbook pros ... cause the ports places on core duo models are different than those on core 2 duo models !

is that true ? :confused:

9. andriella macrumors member

I think there are 2 different kinds of Speck cases for Core Duo and Core 2 Duo, but as I mentioned in this post, I have a TechShell and not a Speck case.

It would likely be better to make a new topic about that, or do a search.

10. penguin09 macrumors newbie

Iced, it's true. There are two versions of the Speck cases because the CDs don't have a firewire 800 port, I believe. The one's you'd pick up at the Apple store will be to fit the C2Ds.

I bought one of the older versions for incredibly cheap (2 for $15) off ebay, and just used clippers and a nail file to cut and file the sides so that I had access to my ports. It was a bit of work but well worth saving that much money.

11. Iced Angel macrumors regular

Thanx ... I would do the same. 15 buck for 2 instead of $45 for one ;)

12. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Why not just get a CaseMate Signature Suit? You can keep it on you MBP all the time (don't need to remove it to use you MBP), so it's always protected, and it looks great!