MacBook Pro Sleep Light Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CocoaTurtle, Jun 20, 2010.

1. CocoaTurtle macrumors member

I have a quick question regarding the MacBook Pro's 'Sleep Light'. I own a White MacBook (Model: 2,1) when I discharge the MacBook, running it completely out, the sleep light will pulse until the battery is completely dead, this usually takes around five hours or so. Now when I go to discharge my MacBook Pro, running the battery totally out, it's sleep light doesn't do this at all (I leave it usually for five to eight hours or so before plugging the MagSafe in). I am just wondering if this is right? Perhaps Apple removed this feature from the new MacBooks.

Cheers.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Are you using the MBP while you run it on battery?
    Is the display on?

If so, the sleeping light indicator is off. It only pulsates while the Mac is asleep.
    And it is only constantly on, while the Mac is running and just the display is sleeping.

3. CocoaTurtle thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the very quick reply. I forgot to state that this is when I am using the MacBook Pro on battery power with no external display or accessories connected. The Mac will tell me its on reserve power, I continue to use the machine until it turns itself off, at this point my White MacBook's sleep light would pulsate and eventually after hours and hours stop (I'm assuming at the point the battery is completely dead and doesn't have enough to continue to power the light), but my MacBook Pro doesn't do this, once it turns itself off due to low power, the sleep light doesn't pulsate at all. I'm just wondering if this is normal with MacBook Pro's, as it seems strange to me that it doesn't do this just like the MacBook.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It might be, that the MBP just hibernates, that means, it writes the content of the RAM to the HDD and shuts itself off.

How long does it take for the MBP to "sleep" after you have chosen SLEEP or put it to sleep? And how much RAM do you have?

Maybe use SmartSleep to set a different sleep state.

5. Collider macrumors regular

I can't tell you if it's normal (though I've always assumed it is), but I can tell you that my MBPs (both my first and my new one) have always done as you describe -- when I consciously wear out the battery by leaving the MBP on until it switches itself off (usually to calibrate), the sleep light does not pulse when it does put itself to sleep.

6. CocoaTurtle thread starter macrumors member

It could well be hibernating, I didn't even think of that! I just assumed that because my MacBook goes to sleep after the battery dies, so would the MacBook Pro.

The only way I put my MacBook Pro to sleep is by closing the lid, it goes to sleep instantly. I have 4GB of stock RAM, I'm using a base 15" i5 MacBook Pro. Cheers for the link, I'm reading up on that now. :)

Edit: Collider thank you very much for confirming yours does the same as mine! I discharged both machines this morning and only because they were both sat together I noticed this! :)