MacBook Pro Sleep Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carlmattheis, Jun 8, 2009.

1. carlmattheis macrumors newbie

carlmattheis

Hello everyone, How you doing. Recently Ive started having trouble with my MacBook Pro (Pre Unibody). It was purchased June of '08 so its over a year old. So my problem is when I shut the lid of the machine it sleeps fine the first time, then if I open the lid and then shut it again it will stay on and just freeze or sleep and not wake up. Then I have to manually restart by holding down the power button. When I start it up again it wont boot normally and usually restarts by itself when its on the grey apple screen when after that it boots fine. Also when my computer doesn't sleep when I shut it a second time the fans are blowing at full speed. Ive sat and watched it when I shut it a second time and it just starts going from no fan to full fan. I think it might have something to do with the boot kernel or sleep kernel. Any help is greatly appreciated.

--Im on 10.5.7--

2. kinai-ahi macrumors newbie

Same problems

I am having similar problems. My MBP often wakes from its sleep mode with the lid still shut. Other times, it is very sluggish to wake. Looking for some corrective ideas.

3. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

I have exactly the same model and age machine, but with 4GB installed (identical Apple RAM from a 17" pre unibody MBPro). Since last week it is suffering exactly the symptoms you describe above. Sleeps fine once, then freezes on second attempt. No differenet if I shut lid or use the Sleep dialogue.
    I wasn't sure if this was related to a recent drop of the machine, or to the 10.5.7 update.

I just tried using the widget application "Deep Sleep" (http://deepsleep.free.fr/) and it worked fine first time, but then hung on the second attempt, so not a viable work-around.

Another thread suggest enabling the ethernet port, and/or resetting the SMC/PMU.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=708230

Already tried to reset SMC, but not sure it worked...

4. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

5. carlmattheis thread starter macrumors newbie

carlmattheis

Worked

Hello everyone, Thanks for all the replies it was all helpful. The one about enabling the ethernet port worked perfect for me.

6. philipk macrumors 6502

I had the same problem with a Dec. 2007 MacBook after installing 10.5.7.

I got tired of it and reinstall the original software. Then I did the huge jump to 10.5.7 update.

Next I restored the programs that I wanted and didn't install some programs that I wasn't using.

The computer works faster now and the original problem was fixed.

I know this seems like a MS Windows fix but I find that it helped in many areas.

When I was in the Windows world, I did this about every 3-6 months. This is the first time that I have done it with this Mac since buying it in Dec 07.

I owned a G5 iMac for four years and did it twice. My wife's G4 MacBook is from June 05 and has been restore once. My July 08 iMac has never been restored.

7. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

This sleep issue just happened to me. Ironically, I had disabled all but Airport services in the Networking preferences as part of an attempt to fix an issue where Bluetooth cuts out every couple of hours.

The suggested fix for that was to disable Bluetooth networking, but I guess I took the purge a little too far.

Now, without even restarting, I have re-enabled Ethernet services, and successfully slept via menu selection and lid closing. If only real sleep was as easy to fix.

8. bobbyb234 macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro 17" 10.5.8 not waking from sleep

I have the same problem. My 'puter doesn't wake from sleep either when top is closed or even when left open. Fan stayed on other day over running even when lid closed and in my bag. Only latest upgrade has been latest Firefox but don't think it's that.

To restart, I have to disconnect mains and battery and then start up again but that also seems to be problematic as it takes ages to go through the startup process.

Also battery seems to be dying pretty quickly and prefs about this 'puter say condition good and cycle count 233.. (newish battery).

Any suggestions pls???

9. carlmattheis thread starter macrumors newbie

carlmattheis

I fixed it by re adding/enabling ethernet in system preferences. That worked for me.

10. rwd hero macrumors 6502

im having the same problem, it just started happening out of nowhere. Im on 10.6.2

11. chupakbra macrumors newbie

Problem

Same problem here. MBP (early 2008) 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM. Snow Leopard 10.6.3

I ran Onyx (the maintenance scripts) and I think the problem is solved.

I will report if it didn`t work.

12. Filmphish macrumors newbie

Sleep Issues 2009 15" MBP

I did everything that everyone else did—installed snow leopard, Frapped til I was blue, cleaned things up and went to the genius bar twice for diagnostics. Here's what I discovered: The sleep problem only occurred in one location—on my dining room table sitting on a synthetic placemat—never at the office or on location anywhere else. I lifted it up, removed the placement and inclined the laptop, gave it some air. The machine woke up and the problem hasn't returned. It did not feel hot, I can't explain it...the machine just didn't like what it was sitting on. Ask yourself—where does this problem happen? Hope this helps.

----------