Macbook pro sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nox Darkness, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Nox Darkness macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Do you guys put your MBP 2011 with HDD to sleep and travel around with you? Will this affect the hardware?

Thanks in advance!

2. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

The only thing I can think of is that if you put ur MBP to sleep it will continue to drain the battery... albeit VERY LITTLE. but it will still eat up battery.

3. simsaladimbamba

I hardly shut down my mobile Macs, as only the RAM is powered during sleep and the HDD is asleep (the head is parked, like it is when the Mac is shut off).
    Therefore it is safe to move the MBP while asleep, the battery is drained 1% per hour.

4. Unpleasant macrumors member

it shouldn't affect too much.

Since they day i got my brand new macbook pro(on release date) i haven't turn it off. always been in sleep mode lol. I just close the lid and thats it.:D

5. Nox Darkness thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

I shut them down when I travel, otherwise it's sleep mode.

7. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Wow, it is okay to just have it in sleep mode all the time? I want to keep my battery life as strong as possible, does this not cause you to lose charge over time? I've only had mine a day and a half. Charged it completely, used it down to about 40% throughout the day yesterday and recharged it overnight. I have always shut it down when I'm finished using it, but it would be nice not to have to as my MBP goes EVERYWHERE with me and it would be really nice to just open it up and be ready to go. Of course, coming for years of PC use, this thing starts up from being completely off quicker than my PC could wake up! :apple:

8. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

the macbook and os x has excellent power management. i don't think u need to worry abt battery degrading from having it sleeping.

do not worry abt this.

9. simsaladimbamba

I use my MBP that way, meaning I never shut it down, only restart it when necessary and my battery is still going strong.
    [​IMG]

10. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Your battery is designed to go through 1000 cycles. Most people would probably have gotten a new MBP before that happens. Your battery will be fine.