MacBook Pro Sleeping/Shutting Off Randomly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmbruen, Nov 12, 2012.

1. jmbruen, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012

jmbruen macrumors newbie

I have a late 2008 Unibody MacBook Pro 15" with a 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 4 GB of RAM, running 10.8.2.

I believe the overall performance of my computer has been decreasing for about 6 months now. Almost everyday I work with large HD files in FCP, Compressor, Ext, and many Adobe editing programs. The cooling fan on my computer seems to be running fast most of the time and my computer is typically very hot. Just some typical usage info before I get to the real problem.....

The computer screen will randomly go black while in use and the hibernation light will come on. The fan will continue to run for 5-10 seconds after this. Then the computer will become unresponsive as if it shut off. If I push the power button, the computer will instantly come back on and bring me right to my desktop, with all applications and windows running where they were before the screen went black. This has happened 3 times within 15min prior to posting this. When it happened I was rendering a large file in FCP and editing in Lightroom at the same time. Less then half of my RAM was in use. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help.

-Jesse

2. Chedd macrumors member

Something must be interfering with the magnetic sensor that detects when the lid is shut. My iPhone 5 triggers this when I unintentionally place it near the side of the trackpad.