MacBook Pro Sleeping While Gaming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, Jun 29, 2012.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro with Boot Camp (Windows 7 x64) and Lion. I just started having problems with Crysis 2 in Windows, where the computer would randomly decide to sleep while in game. The computer could be brought back by pressing random keys or the power button. I know that PCs shut down when they overheat, but I've never heard of one sleeping. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

2. tomtom2234 macrumors member

I had this problem too on my 2008 MBP recently when i switched to windows from overheating. The fans just never seem to speed up !

3. SuperMini macrumors member

Take your GPU back to stock clocks and see if it still happens. Also you can download a program like MSI afterburner that show gpu info in the corner of your screen whilst gaming, so you can keep an eye on temps and other info.

Weird that its going to sleep though, if it was overheating it should shut off. It happens in other games?

4. thekryz macrumors newbie

Clean your fans. Seriously. Open up your Unibody MacBook Pro.
    Get:
    - a T6 Torx screwdriver as well as
    - a small Phillips and
    - some device to gently apply air pressure
    Open the back of the MBP, unscrew the fans from the Logic Board (also disconnect the connectors carefully!). Then clean the fans and especially the part inside the MacBook Pro that the fans try to blow the air out of. Once everything is clean, put it back together and try gaming again. It solved my problem - and the fans had produced quite the thick layer of dust inside my MBP!