MacBook Pro Sleeps When In Contact With iPhone 6

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JSchwartz15, Nov 5, 2014.

1. JSchwartz15 macrumors regular

Today I noticed an interesting phenomenon and I'm curious if it happens to anyone else.

What happens is this: I place my Space Grey, 64GB iPhone 6 (with a black leather Apple case) screen up and tilted diagonally (Touch ID going in direction of the Trackpad) on the bottom left corner of my 13" Mid-2012 MacBook Pro (baseline model) and the computer goes to sleep. When I click the trackpad the display turns on again. Sometimes I need to enter my password which I should only have to do every four hours.

After some testing, it seems the phone has to be in the EXACT right placement (PHOTO HERE). I tested on my roommates rMBP and nothing happened, and I think that's where the Hard Drive is located so it must be something with either this specific computer model or SSDs vs HDDs.

Does this happen for anyone else? Is there an explanation? What about other iPhone models? Should I be concerned? Is it something Apple should or does know about?

2. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

If I were to take a guess, it would most likely be the magnet in the iPhone speaker that is triggering the switch that would normally trigger from closing the lid (which I believe also has a magnet for this triggering.)

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

Interesting. That may explain it because my iPad and MBP do the same thing!

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

You're simply triggering the magnetic sleep switch with the phone's speaker magnet.