MacBook Pro-- Slight Water Damage. Worth anything?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LostGirl, Mar 15, 2016.

1. LostGirl macrumors newbie

I'll try and make this very long story short.

I just adopted a kitten, and she was very interested in a cup of water next to my early 2015 MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch). The water wasn't right next to the computer, but a small amount go on the left side of the keyboard, the charging port, and the slots on that side.

I've had it diagnosed and was told I am pretty screwed. I was given two options: 1) $850 fee for Apple to go in and replace everything that was touched by the water, or 2) buy a new computer for a few hundred more and avoid wait-times and the measly 90 day warranty. I bought a new computer and took my old one home as well. Because I was curious, I plugged it in. The computer is completely functional (ironically, I'm currently using it!) with one very unfortunate "but." The computer's power system was somehow damaged. The battery percentage says "96%", but without constant power from the wall it dies instantly. The Mac is informing me that the battery's condition is "replace now."

I need a reliable computer for my job. Is there any chance I can save this computer without throwing more money away? Or is my best option to keep the new one? Any chance that I can sell it for parts...?

2. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

At best you've damaged the battery, or the DC in board, at worst you've damaged both and the logic board too.

You could try getting just the battery replaced and see if that cures it, but there's a serious possibility that you've wrecked the DC in board also - again, not too bad to replace but a little more time consuming.

If you've damaged the logic board in any way then it will be a very expensive repair ($hundreds) for a replacement. Without looking at the internals it's impossible to say. The fact that it still works when on external DC power suggests that the logic board itself *might* be ok.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

If there ever was an oxymoron when it comes to water damage I guess that would have to be it.