MacBook Pro Slow Down. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bigbluenation, Jan 13, 2012.

1. bigbluenation macrumors newbie

I have a macbook pro that is approximately two years old. I'm running Snow Leopard and have been experiencing lots of slow downs and beach balls recently. I checked my HD and it was fine, have 4GB ram. Slow downs occur just surfing web and using itunes. If I upgrade to Lion will this help with slow downs? If I upgrade will a Time Machine back up suffice before upgrading. Thanks

2. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

Well it wouldn't be cheap, but if you got something like TechTool 6, you could run its Volume Rebuild tool and gain access to lots of other diagnostics.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Upgrading to Lion won't help with performance issues. It's different from SL in a few aspects, with (depending on whom you ask) some improvements, but I wouldn't say it's faster.

4. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Do the slowdowns happen regularly enough that you could catch it while running "top" in a terminal window or Activity Monitor? Do you have any process running that are sucking up lots of RAM? Does Console.app show any suspicious error messages? Have you run "/fsck -f" to check for any drive issues? I mean, just basic troubleshooting to try to narrow down the problem. There's no guarantee that updating to Lion will fix this.

Repairing your permissions wouldn't hurt, although I know it's not a cure-all. Plus, you could always do a Combo Install of the latest Snow Leopard point update. Sometimes that helps fix issues that crop up from doing a delta update.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You might find some of this helpful: Performance Tips For Mac OS X