MacBook Pro slow download of zip files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TheMaxBat, Feb 2, 2010.

1. TheMaxBat macrumors newbie

Hi:

I'm at a university and I've had a MacBook Pro for about a year now. The OS is Mac OS X 10.5.8. The processor is 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. The Memory is 4 GB DDR2.

When I'm at the University we use a secure wireless network. When I option click on the AirPort icon, I get the following readings:

0:26:cb:82:8d:80
    Channel: 11
    RSSI: -68
    Transmit Rate: 130

Because it's a university-wide system, I have no idea what the router information is. When I asked our IT staff about it - a group of part-time college students - they just shrug and tell me everything is working.

Here is my problem: I can download movie files in an instant. Zip files, even the most basic ones, take about half an hour. This is true even when the movie and the zip file is on the same website. A movie file, six or eight times the size of the zip, downloads much faster.

I've read through this forum and others. I followed this suggestion: I deleted my AirPort setting and reinstalled it under "wireless". This did not seem to change anything.

Has anyone had this problem and solved it? This will be a major problem as I TA a class where students are required to submit assignments by zip files.

Thanks. MB

2. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

Sounds like the university throttles the data connection if it sees any file with .zip as the type.

Check out http://www.measurementlab.net/ to test your connection