MacBook Pro Slow Internet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TannerW, Jul 9, 2010.

1. TannerW macrumors newbie

Guys I am dying Here...

I have a MacBook Pro 13 Inch Pretty much brand new running 10.6.4

When I first had it home and used it the Internet was great. Now it is so slow sometimes and sometimes has no signal. I get SLOW and SOMETIMES no PROGRESS with full wireless signal. I have replaced/updated the LINKSYS router. I have called comcast and done speed test and what not and they say it is not their end that is causing the problem . I have spoken with apple .. deleted/reset/ and got a diagnostic ran on my airport.... At the apple store in the network utility pinging google took about 33-35 mil sec. at home its 88-and above... I have put in open DNS servers on and on and on i cant figure it out !

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

So you've tried resetting all your networking connections on the MBP?

And do other computers on the network experience the slow internet?

3. TannerW thread starter macrumors newbie

Im pretty sure that is what apple had me do... I was on the phone with them. they had me delete some safari files and what not...

and my roommates have PC's that work fine

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Have you tried re-installing Snow Leopard?

5. 064629009 macrumors member

My MBP gets slow internet a lot too! Every PC in my house gets a really good, fast connection, but my MBP will often just have 2 or 3 bars (I have an Apple router that works perfectly fine). I tried resetting everything and whatnot, and I don't think reinstalling Snow Leopard will help either. I've seen a few people complaining about slow internet, and some people think it's because of the aluminum casing? I believe the antenna is on the bottom left corner, next to the trackpad, and often, when I lift up the MBP, the internet connection slightly improves. Hmm..

6. DCBass macrumors 6502

I'd hate to add flame to the fire, but my new stock 15" 2.4 mbp also has a poor internet connection every now and then. This is on 10.6.4.

I will try to be specific, as these sorts of things often get built up when people don't actually have the identically same problem.

Specifically, it will take a moment to connect after I wake it from sleep, only it seems like it is taking longer than it should. It looks like the wifi signal is full strength, but no website will load. This lasts for approximately 30 seconds. After a while, it will kick into gear.

Sometimes, this will happen again after I've been surfing a while, but again, approximately 30 seconds, full strength signal, and sites just simply won't load.

I should also note that this happens no matter what browser I use: safari 5, firefox 4, or google chrome.

Also, my wife's pc and my iPhone do not have any problems our router, so that's not the problem.

Anyhow, I haven't done anything to remedy the situation since it doesn't last very long. Is anyone seeing anything similar on their MBPs?

Cheers,

DCBass

7. TrojanX macrumors member

TrojanX

Have you guys tried clearing your cache. I would suggest downloading Oynx and running its cleanup procceses and delete all your cache. Many people say that can solve the problem.

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Does the same problem occur on other WiFi connections?

(For that matter, are you sure you're connected to the WiFi signal you think you are? Might you be snaring a weak signal from a neighbor instead?)

If not, try the following. First, turn off your MacBook's AirPort. Go into its Network settings preference pane in System Preferences. Click the Advanced button. Select your network, and hit the "-" button to delete it. Delete any others you don't regularly use while you're at it. Click OK. Reboot. Turn on Airport. Attach to your network again, entering any credentials required. Better? ...If so, something got corrupted, a DNS setting or something of the sort. I've seen it happen, both on Macs and PCs.

Worth a try.

9. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

Try using a browser other than Safari....See if it works. I think Safari 5 may have issues with DNS.

10. StephenHuang macrumors newbie

StephenHuang

there are several setting you could change in order to get the internet speed boost. detail please use the search function in "guides" and there are also some tricks you could use if you are using safari firefox there are on the youtube so go there and then search them. :) hope this help

11. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

I had horrible problems like this on my unibody mbp. My macbook pro couldn't use the internet but my iPhone had no troubles. So I switched my time capsule to use the N only 5GHz band instead of the b/g/n 2.4GHz. This instantly cleared things up for me.

Then, about one week later, I switched back to the 2.4GHz band so that my iPhone could get back on the network.

By then the problem had mostly went away. One other thing to try is a different channel on your router.

I hope you all get your problem fixed. I wish we had a better solution.

12. TannerW thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Everyone thank you for all the suggestions. I always reset safari and clear the cache. I will download onyx and see what it will do . I even purchased a New linksys router to try and solve the problem . I usually have FULL BARS on the airport indicator. But sometimes if i type in a site, hit enter... the blue loading bar only comes up the the HTTP:/ on the address.. like theres no connexion... or for instance craigslist pictures sometimes show as blue question marks... LOADING PROBLEM ?

13. Betelgeuse macrumors member

Here's a troubleshooting question: when you have these problems, can it be fixed by plugging your laptop in to a WIRED port on your router? Have you ever had this problem when plugged into a network cable? This might help to distinguish a wireless problem from a general networking problem.

14. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

A few things:

A) I run into this from time to time on my Mac. I have several PCs in the house that seem unaffected.

B) For me this is a wireless and wired issue. I know this because I was using a GigE connection while testing a new router install and thought I was having a QoS problem but ultimately tried a PC and it was fine while the Mac connection was an issue.

C) If you want a bit more info about your current wireless connection, hold the Option key while you click the wireless icon and it will show transmit rate and other details.

15. sushma macrumors newbie

Follow the following steps to increase the speed test.....After that check the speed test here http://www.ip-details.com/ at free of cost....

1. Go to Start-> Run-> and type gpedit.msc
    2. Expand the Administrative Templates branch
    3. Expand the Network tab
    4. Highlight QoS Packet Scheduler
    5. Click on Limit Reservable Bandwidth and check the enabled box
    6. Then Change the Bandwidth limit % to 0 %

16. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

First bypass the wireless and test network speeds using ethernet. If that works well, then the problem is just with the wireless.

Try testing with your computer just a few feet away and in direct line of sight to the router. If that helps then there may be something blocking the signal from where you normally use it, such as pipes or air ducts.

Also try turning off other electronics and electrical devices such as speakers that may be nearby your usual spot for your computer. If that helps then interference from one of those devices may be the source of the problem.

If the problem is definitely with the wireless only and you have eliminated interference or software settings and you still have a slow connection when next to the router then it may be a hardware problem.

17. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I had the same problem, from what I've found the macbooks royally suck on a g-wireless network, my pc's work perfect and blazing fast on even a cheap wireless-g router but not he macbook, friends macbook and friends imac.

Dropped a wad on a $$ wireless-n router that was like 120 bucks, works great now, rarely buffers videos and browses online way the f' faster than before. My friend got rid of his g-router as well and went N, I don't know what it is but these Mac's airport doesn't like wireless-g.

18. noshjewman macrumors member

Hi sushma,

I've seen you post this on a couple of answers today. Can you expand on this though - is this a solution for macs? It looks like you're giving instructions for a windows machine.

Thanks,

Josh

19. ceshimm macrumors member

better go somewhere else to test your connection speed.

20. 7racer macrumors regular

21. TheaterOfMemory macrumors newbie

Easy fix for slow internet (if you backed up to Time Machine)

My MacBook Pro started this slow internet thing and I will tell you what I did. First of all, I don't know why it started, but I have a feeling it starts when you switch from one wireless network to another...I don't know.

But, the problem seems to be in the Utilities folder HD>Applications>Utilities

I did a restore of all the files in the Utilities folder from Time Machine (had to do it in small batches because if you try to do the whole folder it says you don't have the right permissions)

You should choose a date in Time Machine that you know you did not have the slow internet problem.

It was an instant fix and no problems that I know of yet.

MacBook Pro 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo