Macbook Pro Slow Solution

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macgeek7860, Dec 27, 2015.

1. macgeek7860 macrumors newbie

Hey guys I currently own a Macbook Pro Mid 2012 13inch with 500GB HDD and 4GB RAM. I am currently on the latest software update. I am also running Window 10 via bootcamp. I am seeing that when I run Mac OSX, the computer is very slow and unstable but when I run Window 10, the computer is fast and stable. Is there anything I can do to make the macbook pro faster when running Mac OSX?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Without knowing your usage, when it's slow or what you mean by unstable, the best I can offer is this: remove the HDD and install a SSD.

3. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

Might want to reformat and install OS X clean. Removes a lot of unwanted files.

Or simply add a SSD, Samsung EVO 840 is highly recommended.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

5. macgeek7860 thread starter macrumors newbie

The computer tends to freeze every single time I open an application. After opening the application, it takes 20-30 seconds for the application to respond on every click or move I make. I was thinking about doing RAM upgrades but first I wanted to make sure whether this would be the best approach or not.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If it works well under Windows, you likely do not have a hardware problem. Can you explain more what is going on under OS X? Have you installed any new software neatly that may be causing problems?

Just as a troubleshooting step, try holding the shift key at startup to boot to safe mode. That bypasses any login or startup items that may be causing a conflict. If a safe mode boot helps, come back here and let us know.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ordinarily, that is a sign of a failing hard drive, but it is odd it is working okay in Windows. More RAM will not help this. Try the safe mode boot I mentioned and let us know if that helps.

8. macgeek7860 thread starter macrumors newbie

The Safe Boot Start-Up made the computer faster not by much though. I'm still seeing 20-30 seconds waiting times for starting up programs such as microsoft words and microsoft powerpoint along with occasional freezing.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmm.... that does sound like a failing disk, but I am troubled by the fact it does not happen under Windows.

Try a command-r boot to recovery and from there use Disk Utility to run a verify disk and see if that reports anything.

10. macgeek7860 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind I think I solved the problem. I had a lot of program that would start-up from the very beginning when turning on the computer, so I turned it all off and that seem to solve the problem. Thanks for the help!

By the way if I want to buy a SSD hard drive is there any way I can transfer the bootcamp image from the old hard drive to the new hard drive?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... WinClone will do that for you.

http://twocanoes.com/products/mac/winclone