MacBook Pro Slow Startup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by azz2811, Jun 6, 2011.

1. azz2811 macrumors newbie

Iv'e been reading for a while about people solving there slow startup issues with their MacBook Pros. I can seem to find anyone who has the same problem as me, or who has solved a smilier problem. When i press the 'on' button on my MBP a blank grey screen comes up for roughly 10seconds before the grey apple logo appears. Can anyone help me? i know its not really something to worry about but seeing as i use the laptop for school its quite annoying in class having to wait. Thank you.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So don't power it off. Just close the lid and let it sleep when you're not using it. Then, when you open the lid, you don't have to wait for it to boot up.

3. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Shut it down at night when you're not going to be using it for very long, and put it to sleep when you'll need it to start faster.

Option 2, do a clean install and get rid of the bloat you've acquired over its usage span.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't even need to shut it down at night. I only shut down when Software Update requires it, sometimes months in between.

5. azz2811 thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont believe that it has really acquired any bloat because it just had a fresh install of Snow Leopard only 2 weeks ago.

6. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I was having the exact same problem last week. I reset the PRAM and the problem went away instantly.

1. Shut down the computer.
    2. Turn on the computer.
    3. Immediately press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
    4. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
    5. Release the keys.

7. azz2811 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, i will try this straight away.

8. azz2811 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much!, the PRAM thing worked. Computer now starts up to home screen in 31 seconds :cool:

9. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Glad it worked!