MacBook Pro slow Wake up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Constantine1337, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

Hello,

like the title says, my machine is pretty slow to wake up from sleep (when I open the lid). I have a MacBook Pro 2.53 i5 128 SSD and I use "SmartSleep" prefpane (set up not to write anything on SSD unless low on battery, so all info is just stored in RAM).

All was working well up until few weeks back when I noticed that my machine is taking 3-6 seconds to wake up. I have usually Mail and Adium app open, so waking up should be instantaneous (like it used to be).
    This is not my first MacBook Pro, so from experience I know that this should be faster (at least on SSD).

Thanks in advance,
    Milan

2. sUGArDawg macrumors regular

sUGArDawg

Holy moly an entire 3-6 seconds? How do you wait that long?? It must be torture. :rolleyes:

3. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

I love how you're being sarcastic even tho it's only supposed to be around 2 seconds.

4. sUGArDawg macrumors regular

sUGArDawg

2 seconds vs 3-6 seconds...really?

This is what we're talking about?

Well as soon as we solve this dilemma, we can move on to world hunger and terrorism.

5. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

6 seconds just for your computer to wake up? And if you wanna talk about problems as big as that then you're on the wrong site.

6. sUGArDawg macrumors regular

sUGArDawg

Wow, you guys think 6 seconds is a long time? Amazing

7. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

For the computer just to wake up obviously. This isn't hard to understand. If you didn't want to help then you shouldn't of even posted.

8. sUGArDawg macrumors regular

sUGArDawg

"shouldn't of posted"? Is that kinda like "shouldn't HAVE posted"?

This isn't that big of a deal. Your computer crashing is a big deal. A virus is a big deal. Having to wait SIX ENTIRE SECONDS is not a big deal.

9. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Wow, sorry, MY BAD. Have posted.
    So you think that you should only make a topic if you're having a HUGE problem? For a brand new computer, 6 seconds is a long time to simply wake up from sleep. Time yours, I'm sure it isn't nearly as long.

10. snowboarder943 macrumors regular

HAHAH totally agree sugardawg! what a silly thread

11. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

So you wouldn't care if your fancy brand new i7 MBP took 6 seconds to simply wake up?

12. sUGArDawg macrumors regular

sUGArDawg

Stroke of genius:

Stop using that preference pane.

Solved.

13. Constantine1337 thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually timed the wake up time now, and its 10 seconds flat. thats quite a difference from 2 sec wake up time few weeks back.

14. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

run disk utility and smart utility to make sure there isnt any impending problems with the hard drive.

15. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

if you got a CD in the CD drive it takes longer.

mine wakes up instant no CD and with CD about 5-7 secs

16. sUGArDawg macrumors regular

sUGArDawg

Ok....well...NOW you're f--ked

17. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

What's with everyone's attitude here? My MBP wakes up in 1-2 seconds. In the time it takes to move my hand back form the lid and down to the keyboard again it's up and running. I'd be very annoyed if this took 10 seconds instead, there definitely is a problem somewhere. I'd check the above mentioned things, pending HD failure or a CD in the drive bay. You can also check the system logs, it saves quite a bit of information about what it's doing when it goes into sleep mode and wakes up again. Maybe that can give you a clue.

18. Constantine1337 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info. I don't have a CD in the superdrive, so I'll check the logs and see what I can come up with.

19. psicekus macrumors newbie

I have just moved to new MBP i5 and I have also noticed this issue. It doesn't bother me much except the thoughts that something may be wrong with software. I have just swapped hdd. But I am courious what may be causing it. Previously I didn't notice the time when system did wake from sleep.

20. pxforti macrumors newbie

I have same issue after upgrading to 10.6.5. I have 13" MBP. Used to wake instantly, as soon as I hit any key. Now, when I hit a key, nothing for 5 seconds. Also, have macbook and it also wakes INSTANTLY!

21. renerramirez macrumors newbie

My 2.53 Core 2 Duo is now taking 30 seconds to wake up, even without any apps running. I've deleted Norton anit virus, rebooted the macbook pro, run disk utilities, but no improvements.

22. dtblaze macrumors regular

After upgrading to 10.6.6 ive been having those issues. mine used to wake up in like <1 sec. Now its like 5 - 10 sec and the computer is basically stock... only like 1-2 month old... any suggestion ?

23. bwthor macrumors member

Arrrrgh!!!

I've done this like three separate times. I set my mac on top of another, and the magnets from the bottom one won't allow the top one to wake up. I swear, I've wasted at least 30 minutes of my life fighting with this.

24. joec1101 macrumors 6502

I was having this problem on my brand new 2011 13" MBA i7/256/4 w/Lion 10.7.1.

Someone on another forum suggested resetting PRAM, so I tried it and all seems fine now. Wakes up instantly even after lid close sleep for a long period of time. :D

Might be worth a try for anyone still having this problem on an MBA or MBP.

Instructions are on Apple web site here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

25. jndub macrumors newbie

MBP slow to wake

I was having a similar issue on my 17" Mid 2010 MBP running 10.6.8. It would wake the screen but not be responsive for around 30 sec or allow me to launch apps for about 30 seconds. I traced it down to an obscure airport issue. So see if you still have sleep lag if you turn off airport.