MacBook Pro slowing down...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harrisone23, Apr 7, 2008.

1. harrisone23 macrumors member

I just got a 15" MBP (the new ones) and it has been constantly showing the beach ball, and freezing. Im probably going to buy 4GB of RAM and I need to know... How do I make it faster? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Alpinism macrumors regular

3. harrisone23 thread starter macrumors member

I dont really have that many apps that I dont use..

-Candybar
    -BlendIt

The freezing mostly takes place in iTunes.

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

5. harrisone23 thread starter macrumors member

Yea - 4GB of music and 100GB of Video. Does that effect it?

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

it might but i have 6gb worth of music, 60gb of movies and 300gb of tv shows anf i nfver get any slowdowns

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

That shouldn't effect anything. Rather how much HDD do you have available? I recommend more than 10gb available at any given time. When do you notice the beachballs? When does it freeze? And yes more RAM will help.

8. jemo07 macrumors regular

I think you answered your own question. :D

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No the RAM doesn't help. I get those waits too. The only is to reinstall everything (no not, Time Machine, more like back up and reinstall)

10. iFizz macrumors regular

Yeah, I agree with alphaod. He has 2GB RAM, that's plenty. If he has at least 10-15GB free space on the HD, and no cr@pware, I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe a failing HD? Or maybe just need a clean install of OS X?

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Back up your essential files and reinstall. IF that doesn't fix it, you should take it to Apple and ask for some help. Only as last resort, spend money on new RAM.

12. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

I 3rd this sometimes all you need is a clean slate? I have 3gb of music and 70gb of video, and I have yet to see the beachball. More ram would never hurt though, it pretty cheap too.

13. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Is it connected to a network and how? If you have a very slow or flakey connection, the network can show beachballs depending on what you are doing.

14. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

Ignore the people who are asking for a complete reinstall.... that is always a last resort.

Before you start, how much free space do you have on your internal hard drive? Try to leave a good 10% or so space free so performance doesn't suffer.

First check your Activity Monitor (Applications\Utilities\Activity Monitor) to see if there are any runaway processes eating up a lot of cpu.

Next, open up Disk Utility (Applications\Utilities\Disk Utility). Run Verify Disk and Repair Permissions. If you get any errors with Verify Disk, restart your computer with your OS X DVD and run Disk Utility from there with Repair Disk.

Next, check your System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Items. Remove things that you don't need.

Last, download and install OnyX: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html

OnyX is an automated maintenance utility. It will force your computer to check or rebuild some important databases -- improving speed and fixing anything that is broken.

Open it up. Allow it to run both the SMART test and Verify Disk. Enter your password when prompted. When it opens, click on the Automation tab, check everything, and click Execute. When everything is done, restart your computer.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I like doing reinstalls. It's like reorganizing my home every once in a while.

Doing maitenance is like mopping and vacuuming. You need to move the furniture to get the cracks.

16. iFizz macrumors regular

Wrong. NEVER EVER run repair disk permissions from your OS X DVD if your OS has been updated from the version on the DVD. Common sense here???
    With Leopard you don't need Onyx. It was needed for Tiger, but Leopard does everything you described during it's daily/weekly/monthly maintenance.
    Loading a machine with unnecessary 3rd-party apps will just exacerbate the problem.