Macbook Pro slowing others internet connection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kassmeow, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Kassmeow macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a problem with my Macbook throwing out my partner's internet connection. He plays Call of Duty on PS3 which is wired to a modem/router. As soon as I open my Macbook which runs on wifi it makes his game glitch. I have tried quitting out of everything (all browsers etc so nothing is uploading or downloading that I know of) and the problem still exists. When my laptop is shut (or the wifi is turned off) his game is fine. Could there be anything running in the background which makes this happen? Like I said even when all applications are closed (even things not to do with the internet) it still happens. Software update isn't running either. Please help as we are at a loss and it seems to be the Macbook which is the problem as I can watch videos on my phone while he is gaming and it doesn't impact his game at all.

Thanks in advance :eek:)

2. mac.fanatic macrumors 6502

It has nothing to do with the MacBook. It's all about how many things are connected to the modem/router total and what it is doing. To me it seems like you may have a slow connection speed which is causing the modem to not evenly distribute its bandwidth. What are your D/U speeds?

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well it could just be an addressing issue, no? Unless you do manual address assignment. If you let the router make the assignments, and you reboot the router, then a connection made today can go south if another device tries to grab the same address it had yesterday and creates a conflict in today's world. Maybe check the logs. I know if my iPhone tries to grab the address my laptop is using during a download, the download is disrupted immediately, with a message from the OS that there's an addressing conflict. It has happened infrequently enough to me that I've been too lazy to check it out, but in the back of my mind is always that the iPhone woke up trying to impose yesterday's reality on a changed environment, and the laptop caught the brunt of the joke. I end by saying network issues are NOT my forte, just that your situation sounds somewhat like my addressing collisions.

4. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Consoles are incredibly inefficient when allocating bandwidth from a router. My Xbox 360 kills my 100Mbps/50Mbps connection w/Airport Express when there are only two devices connected - within 5 feet.

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Isn't that a flaw of the router? It may even be configurable to alter this. By default I'd expect that when multiple devices demand bandwidth, it's divided equally among them. However certain types of traffic may be prioritized.