Macbook Pro slows down every time I download something

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shivers123, Apr 13, 2014.

1. shivers123 macrumors newbie

Hi! Recently I noticed my Macbook Pro (I got it in 2011) slows down every time I download something from my browser. I tried using Safari to see if Chrome (my default browser) is causing the problem, but the same things happen regardless of what browser I use. Basically what happens is that whenever I download something, even if it's a super small file, everything becomes unresponsive and very slow and the cursor sometimes hangs too. The spinning beach ball also appears. After awhile things go back to normal, and I'm able to use my Mac properly again. Somebody please help! It's getting annoying :( Thanks!

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Is it just when the HDD is being accessed? Could be a failing drive? Run disk utility and check it.

3. Lourayad macrumors newbie

Lourayad

4. Kanu1112 macrumors newbie

I am facing almost the same problem, but i dont think theres a problem with the HDD because when i verify the disk with disk utility, there are no problems..so either there could be a bug or a malware.
    I am still trying to find a solution.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Better he fix his Ford than just buy a Ferrari eh?

----------

Look in activity monitor to see what the machine is using a lot of while you download, that will tell you what the cause is, check cpu and disk activity. How full is your HDD?

6. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

The infamous car analogy. Try again, not even close.

----------

OP, It's definitely a HD issue. When you start downloading the HD is being used up to try to write the downloaded file to the drive. Check disk utility.

Also, you really should buy an SSD. SSDs have come down in price so much that for someone who already spent $1200+ on a laptop $120 for a 240gb ssd should be a no brainer. If there turns out to be no issues with your current hd, great, but if you need to replace it I see no reason to not get an ssd.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

So if there turns out to be no issue with his current HD but took your advice and didn't bother to find out, so now he mat still have the issue...not everyone has unlimited money, most people want to find out the issue before spending money on the fix, 10% of the original spend is significant....

The car analogy is pretty good actually, imagine if every time you took yours to a shop the guys pushed you to "fix it" by buying a new Ferrari, you wouldn't be too impressed....

8. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Did you even read my post?

Anyway, apples and oranges. Fixing a $200-$1000 part on a car versus buying a new several hundred thousand dollar Ferrari is not the same as fixing a $50 HDD vs a $100-200 ssd, even though I agree that it's wise to see what the issue is first.

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Yep, I just believe in carrying out proper diagnostics first. And this forum is full of posts by users who have maxxed out on the MBP purchase and don't have free funds for your approach (its immaterial on the cost difference if you don't have the free funds for either).

10. reery macrumors regular

reery

Do you have Boot Camp installed on your Mac?

I've got this annoying issue because of my Boot Camp installation. Despite having an SSD there was an impact on battery and CPU load while downloading something.

If so, try to disable Spotlight or try excluding your Boot Camp partition in Spotlight.