macbook pro + small amount of water

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crayons15, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Crayons15 macrumors newbie

I had my MPB in the kitchen with me yesterday and got ONE drop of water on the speaker by the power button. while i was wiping it off my computer shut off. I tried afterwards to turn it back on because i thought i hit the button while wiping it off, but it got to the grey apple logo screen and it shut back off.

I let it dry out for a day and just tried it again, and it gets to the grey screen and just hangs there. I left it up for about 10 mins and it just wouldn't boot up past that screen, so i turned it back off.

Any suggestions? i called apple right after it happened and they told me to leave it alone for 2 days but i felt that was awful long for just one tiny drop of water. I am quite angry that one drop of water could do that much damage, as i see others have spilled larger amounts and their computers are fine. i don't have $2000 to fork out to fix it because i just paid $2200 for it a year ago. help :( does it sound like if i leave it alone another day it will come back on or do you think i shorted something out?

2. J.Genius macrumors newbie

sounds like you might have moisture under the power button....let it dry...you should be fine.

do not move the laptop from level ground or the moisture or water possibly could hide further in the notebook where it cannot dry easily.

3. Crayons15 thread starter macrumors newbie

^thank you, that makes me feel a lot better! i will let it sit another day or two and see what happens.

4. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

take a vacuum-cleaner with a hairy brush and move over the affected side ..
    maybe one with variable speed.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

you phoned Apple and told them? ha ha ha

ok i wont be mean, but you just voided your Warranty and Applecare
    i hope you didn't give them any of your details.

6. Crayons15 thread starter macrumors newbie

how does that void my warranty? it was one drop of water. and yes i called them bc i was hoping they would have an idea of what to do.

7. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

It will void your warranty. Say u call them in the future with an issue with your laptop. They will read their records and say "well, back in march, u called and said u have water in your laptop" They will blame everything on that. I sure hope u didnt give them your info.

8. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Imagine if you'd told them you'd sneezed, whilst using it :eek: