Macbook Pro SMU Reset

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tmo281, May 18, 2011.

1. tmo281 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I need your help with my Macbook Pro 2.53 ghz(Mid 2009). A few days ago I had a spill and the ginger ale got all over the keyboard and possibly inside through the vent. I immediately proceeded to shut down the computer and remove the bottom case along with the battery, logic board, and optical drive. I left it out to dry for 1.5 days. I put everything back together and guess what...it didn't turn on.

So then I figured the power button/keyboard is broken. I used two screwdrivers to short the connection and it powered on...everything was working except for the internal keyboard and the screen was very dark(working but dim) so I used an external monitor.

I was hoping to do an SMU reset, but I can't do that if the power button and keyboard isn't working, at least according to Apple's instructions. Is there any way I can do an SMU reset without those two things. Any help would be greatly apreciated!

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

This is way beyond me, so I can't answer that question, but this seems like a job for the people at the Apple store if you want to fix the computer.

3. r3vo714 macrumors newbie

No, you can't do a SMU reset without the power button, But I don't believe that will fix the problem anyways...

Best bet is to go to Apple but you're looking at $900+ for fixing it.