Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
it only happens when im streaming movies but the other thing is my computer also seems slower now too. if i stream a movie for more than 10 min my computer gets real hot and disconnects me from the internet and i have to restart my computer in order for me to reconnect. i also called a mac specialest in my area, the apple store, and best buy and all of them said they havent heard anyone complain about this? what the hell is goin on?. i just wanted to start another thread on a different forum to get the word out and to also see if someone here has a solution. here is a thread from another forum with a bunch of people having the same problem and no one knows if theres a fix.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2157851&start=0&tstart=0

someone please help! this is a major problem that needs attention.

bigserve99

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
I have the same issues. I get the "gray screen of death" everytime my macbook pro heats up. Anytime anything seems to heat up the mbp, it's locked up. It's really bad. Hope Apple fixes this issue with SL and MBP's.

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
I have the same issues. I get the "gray screen of death" everytime my macbook pro heats up. Anytime anything seems to heat up the mbp, it's locked up. It's really bad. Hope Apple fixes this issue with SL and MBP's.

you do think its a big enough problem that apple is actually working on it right? bacause the stores i called act like they dont know what im talkin about. id feel alot better if i knew they were workin on it

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I use a program called smcFanControl. That keeps my MBP cool regardless of what I'm doing, i.e., I manually control the fan speed

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Streaming a movie from the internet shouldn't heat up the mbp. The hottest thing in the machine is the cpu and streaming uses dma and very few cpu cycles. You should check your machines temps using the istat widget or some other temp viewer. Also check the cpus % utilization. It should be low. What stresses the cpus and raises temps would be rendering a movie using handbrake. For that I use smcfancontrol to manually set the speed of my fans to 5000rpm. That seems to do the job.

jayd

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
you all seem to be talkin about this problem like its normal and i just need higher fan speed. this is a problem that has to be solved without messing with the fan speed because it has nothing to do with the problem. thanks anyway for mentioning it. streaming a video for 10 minutes is so basic of a thing to do. does everyone agree that i just have to wait untill apple comes out with a fix?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.