Macbook Pro Software Reinstall Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XIIICreative, Dec 5, 2010.

1. XIIICreative macrumors newbie

Firstly I'd like to apoligise for posting something that may have already been covered, it seems all the posts regarding this issue are having very different problems to the ones I'm encountering.

I'm running an i7 Macbook Pro with OS 10.6.5 at present and have recently run the Disk Utility to verify the HDD as I was having issues installing/uninstalling Boot Camp. The Disk Utility tells me I have errors and need to repair. It tells me to insert my Software Install DVD's and boot from them. However it just hangs on a grey screen, no apple logo, no loading wheel, nothing. So I attempted to start in 'Safe Mode' which also ends in the same blank screen as when I attempt to reinstall the base OS.

Are there any work arounds so I can set this up as a new macbook, my entire system is backed up in Time Machine at present although my fear is that the problem may have also been backed up? I've been working on macs for going on ten years and have never had this problem before and will be the first to admit I'm not entirely tech savvy when it comes to this side of things. Any input advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Are you holding "C" when you see the grey screen in order to boot from the CD?

Wes

3. Detrius macrumors 68000

You can instead hold down the option key for a boot menu.

You may have a bad OS install disc or optical drive.

4. XIIICreative thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback guys, sadly both of those options have been tried, booting with 'C' results in the same blank screen, option allows me to see the HD or DVD but only works if I select the HD.