MacBook PRO some light gaming

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Trynty, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Trynty macrumors newbie

Trynty

Hello Macbook users.
    Im kinda new with this macbook thing, i just bought my new MBP 2017 with touchbar and im wondering if i could play some games like CS:GO.
    I heard some people telling that it's better to play some games in Windows with boot camp. Is that possible? This mac will run good on Windows in boot camp?
    If I install Windows on boot camp, will be like a normal notebook or not?
    Thank you!

2. leman macrumors G3

CS:GO seems to be supported on Steam under macOS, didn't play it but see no reason why it shouldn't work. Its an old game and will run on basically anything nowadays. Performance on Windows for games is generally better since both games and drivers are optimised better for Windows. If you have a Mac with a dGPU (15"), make sure to install latest drivers from bootcampdrivers.com when running on Windows.

3. Trynty thread starter macrumors newbie

Trynty

Im using a MacBook Pro 13:(, but i still need to take latest drivers from there right?
    I just asked a friend about cs:go in windows or some light games, and it told me he had max 60 grades temp on macos and 100 in windows, how is that posibble? 40 grades difference?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 19, 2018 ---
    Can I ask what is that kernel_tast from activity monitor and why is it using so much rams? he uses me 680 mb ram

4. leman macrumors G3

The drivers from that site only work for AMD graphic cards, you don't have it. Just don't worry. And ignore your friend. Also, stop looking at the activity monitor. There is no problem with your computer until you actively start looking fro one :D

5. Trynty thread starter macrumors newbie

Trynty

How's the best method to dual boot on Windows? with boot camp or Parallels?
    Can you give me an link to something about bootcamp? im kinda afraid to do it by myself with no info about it.

6. TiggrToo macrumors 6502a

TiggrToo

https://support.apple.com/boot-camp

Parallels is a virtual server type solution - it allows you to create a virtual machine that lives inside the Mac using either the builtin or it's own hypervisor. A Boot Camp install will run native to the hardware, and thus much faster when it comes to games.

7. Trynty thread starter macrumors newbie

Trynty

Good, i will do it on boot camp.
    Do I need to download on macos the iso image from windows or it's enough to put in from my win laptop on a flash drive and insert it on my usb adapter and go with the instal?
    And, how do I make 2 partitions on Windows, like C and D parts? I do it on macos when I want to instal the Windows via bootcamp, or after the Windows install?

8. leman macrumors G3

Using an ISO image is the easiest. Bootcamp assistant will set up a temporary installer partition. No need for an USB drive at all.

You don't. You use a single partition.

9. RNGesus macrumors newbie

Would WoW run on a new Macbook Pro? I assume darn near anything would run that at this point

10. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Yes, probably on medium to low settings. Keep in mind WOW has been out for a VERY long time and when Blizzard releases a new expansion, the system requirements keep going up.

11. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

The AMD GPU in the MBP should be able to handle those old games at 720P, maybe even 1080P. Nothing will run at the display's native resolution. I'd say if your games are available for Mac, then try them in MacOS first and see how playable they are. Dual booting Windows adds more complexity and takes up valuable SSD space. If you plan to do a lot of gaming on Windows, then you'll need to reserve a lot of your SSD for Windows because modern games take up lots of room!

12. Lee_Bo macrumors regular

Lee_Bo

All my gaming is with Steam and it's runs great on my 2016 MBP.

13. Trynty thread starter macrumors newbie

Trynty

I just installed Cs:GO on my dual boot Windows 10, and I have ridiculous temperatures! 100 grades when I play...is anything wrong with my mac?:( It cannot run some Windows games?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 20, 2018 ---
    1 more thing, i noticed that in Windows the letters from write from all apps/facebook etc are blurred, like a low resolution or smth like that, why is that?

14. leman macrumors G3

It’s fine. It’s reaching 100% because that’s the maximal safe operating temperature for the CPU. The cooling system is designed around that number.

15. Trynty thread starter macrumors newbie

Trynty

But it’s normal to have 100 grades on windows and max 60 in MacOS?

16. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

Do you have Macs Fan Controller installed on both MacOS and Windows? It might help you study how the cooling system is performing in each. I've seen some weird behavior with the cooling schemes when dual booting with Windows and MacOS.

17. Trynty thread starter macrumors newbie

Trynty

I just installed it. I’ll give a try. Can anyone tell me what’s the best rpm for normal use? And what’s the normal temperature when watching a movie/youtube or office work?

18. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

It's not so much about the best RPM. You really just want to watch the temperatures under different load conditions and see if the fan is responding the same in both Windows and MacOS. Under mixed use, I wouldn't even mess with the cooling setup under "normal" use--I would only consider changing how it behaves under constant load, like in gaming.

19. Trynty thread starter macrumors newbie

Trynty

Ok i’ll do that, but what’s the normal temp pf a mac?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 20, 2018 ---
    N
    now
    Im playing on macos with 3900 rmp and i have 65 grades. It’s ok the temp?

20. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

I can't speak for your MBP, but my iMac seems to hover around 65C under moderate load, so it's likely fine.

21. Trynty thread starter macrumors newbie

Trynty

I have a problem at touchbar emoji. Everywhere i hit emoji icon my touchbar turns black..anyone know what's the problem?

22. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

I can't help you there, but you will probably want to start a new thread to get a better response for that issue.