MacBook Pro soon be unsupported?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iRooster, Feb 28, 2011.

1. iRooster macrumors newbie

Hey,
    So, since I'm getting a MacBook Pro 15" early 2007 model today, I just wanted to know how much longer it could last before Apple's updates start to slow it down.

How many more years?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can make your machine last as long as you wanted to provided the software you require is still supported. Since everyone's situation is different it is impossible to give you an answer. If your software isn't forcing you to upgrade operating systems, you don't have to upgrade.

3. T34418leONE macrumors member

I own a 15" 2.33 Core 2 Duo made early 2007 and it's going strong. I would suggest to upgrade to 3 or 4GB's of RAM and maybe a larger hard drive but other than that I think you still have a while before these become obsolete.

4. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

My Powerbook G4 I use from time to time. Since owning it, I would occasionally wipe it clean, taking it back to OSX 10.2. Increased the RAM to 2GB and it runs well. The only thing that really slow is when I watch 720p videos on youtube. But its slow on my MBP...

No snow leopard but that ok. Tiger is fine. If you think about it, some of the stuff that we use on Snow Leopard is an added bonus. Stuff that we really don't need to complete a task.

This is why I don't like the idea of not using a disc. If you don't have wi-fi access, you are out of luck. Plus if your computer is running slow or if Apple's server is down... it will take you longer to repair or restore your computer.

btw I don't these Macbook Pro will be obsolete. I see a lot of Macheads still using Powerbook G3.

5. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Your 2007 MBP is no worse than the macbook air so think it still has some time left. Nobody can give you a definite number for sure.

6. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but obsolete is defined by your tolerance for old tech. I had a Powerbook G4 and could only run two web browsers: an older, no longer supported, version of Firefox and Safari (which didn't run that well). Well, Internet Explorer 5, which is...well, there's a time and place for epithets. Even in general application, an aging computer that is being weeded out is a bit of a drag. Despite how much I cherish the memories of my Powerbook, I get a lot more accomplished on my new Macbook Pro.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have a "Late 2006" MBP and although I plan to replace it with one of the new ones, I believe that it's still supported with the current dev release of 10.7. I think it has a couple of years' worth of life left in it.