MacBook Pro Soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cymbal, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Cymbal macrumors newbie

I'm considering purchasing one of the older generation 2.2GHz MacBook Pro's from a 3rd party vendor and I have a question. How would the warranty work? Is it activated when that store bought it or when I power it on for the first time?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What do you mean activated? You mean AppleCare or the standard 1-year warranty; AppleCare you have activate online; the standard warranty starts on the date of purchase.

3. Cymbal thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean the 1-year standard warranty. So it activated when the store bought it?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm confused...

Okay who are you buying this from? Is this an authorized Apple reseller? If they are then it starts from when you buy it from them. If they are not an authorized reseller then yes it started when they bought it from Apple.

5. Cymbal thread starter macrumors newbie

Has anyone purchased a MacBook Pro from a third-party vendor (not apple authorized)? How did the warranty work out?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Who is the vendor? A website or business name helps...

7. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I bought mine new off of eBay and I bought it in January 2008, but the MBP was bought in Nov. 2007 because thats when the reseller bought it. So my warranty starts in Nov...not Jan.

8. Cymbal thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm specifically looking at buying from Abes of Maine. Has anyone purchased anything from there? If so, how was the whole transaction?

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Looks like a certified reseller, so the warranty would start whenever you buy it. Of course since I don't know the reseller I wouldn't know if they were legitimate or not.

For those prices, I'd buy from Amazon.com instead.

10. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

most likely....if it's the 2.2 mbp though you still should have about a month left on your warranty....mine expires in 18 days...i'll install my applecare in 10 days :)

11. Cymbal thread starter macrumors newbie

I would love to buy from amazon, but sadly the matte screen version is a little out of my budget.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

13. flounder21 macrumors member

Nice topic b/c I am wanting to switch from pc to mac. I was just looking at all of the ones available on Amazon. Which pro would you recommend as a desktop replacement that would handle bootloader at the most reasonable price. What screen would you recommend b/c I dont understand the negatives or positives of each.
    TIA

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

All the Pros are similar in performance; depending on your preferences, either get a older 2.4, or the newer 2.5 would be good as a desktop replacement.

Matte screens are standard, anti-glare, accurate color representation. If you want better contrast with more vivid and brighter colors, get the glossy--at the cost of possible glare, less than accurate color representation; movies look more spectacular on a glossy, but if you work on photos and video editing, you will want the matte.

15. Kaupa macrumors regular

Hi,
    I have bought mine from a 3rd party dealer as well and the warranty started from the day the dealer ordered it from Apple. But you can send an email to the applesupport and they will fix it as your receipt does show the date of purchase. You have to call Aplle before to get the right emailadress...