Macbook Pro Sorrow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by r.kirkerrr, Apr 18, 2009.

1. r.kirkerrr macrumors member

long story short, i took my mac to get replaced, and they slapped me with a £767 fee for a repair.

fair enough, it is a early 2006 macbook pro, 1.83 ghz core duo, although a year ago, i spilt milk on the keyboard, which was fine, got the keyboard replaced, and the computer cleaned up, but unfortunately, recently i have had horrifically slow speeds and a horrible grinding noise in the fan.

the genius in the apple store (Belfast) told me that my applecare was void because of the milk issue, which sucked, and he then started to explain my options.

so, i now can
    - pay the repair (illogical decision)
    - take it to my home insurance
    - go cry in the corner about destroying my mac

if i take it to my insurance company, there is a chance they will offer to fix it, and seeing the ridiculous price, they may well just say, go ahead and buy a new one, meaning i would be able to buy a new aluminium macbook under my insurance, which might turn out rather well?

tell me what you guys think, is this a good situation, or a horrible one?

i say both.

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Insurance company. Suck up the excess, which is far less than Apple's charge.

3. r.kirkerrr thread starter macrumors member

anything else? do you reckon there is a chance the insurance company will do that? :confused:

4. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Insurance

Friend of mine dropped his powerbook off the sofa, the thing was like 4 years old....

Next day insurance company had a MBP 15inch top of the range sent over from apple.....

Dont know what his insurance premium was but can't have been that much!

5. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

I dropped my early 2008 MBP, and my insurance paid for the repairs - $500. Excess was $200 (AUD).

Then my logic board was fried, but Nvidia payed for that.

6. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I've claimed for a laptop once, years ago. The insurance company took it to their repair centre, spent about 30 seconds looking at it and sent me a new one.

One way or the other you'll get either a repaired laptop or a new laptop for whatever your excess is (£100-200 at a guess). Less than £767 that Apple are asking for.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you AppleCare is void, I'd call and have it canceled.