macbook pro sound issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cindyjj, Nov 26, 2015.

1. cindyjj macrumors regular

I have a macbook pro late 2011 and about a year ago updated OS X to 10.8.5.
    I downloaded purchased Boom to enhance volume and have had a problem with the sound ever since - tinny and difficult to understand. I properly uninstalled Boom from script, but still sound issue, which may have been a coincidence with downloading Boom. I really need to repair the sound.
    Will downloading Yosemite fix the sound problem? iow, will it undo, rewrite or whatever, any drivers or whatever may be causing the problem?
    If so, are there any other problems with Yosemite I should know? iow will it retain my list in my itunes library as is, iphoto events organizing etc etc.?
    If not, how might I fix this sound problem. I feel like I've tried everything short of reinstalling OS X completely.

2. MushroomMan macrumors member

MushroomMan

Just for the record, I don't see how any software could ever make your hardware better...the speakers are what they are, and have whatever power rating the were designed to run with. No software can magically change this. I would put that extra cash into a set of nice portable speakers.

Regarding your situation, I would back up your important data and then do a full reinstall of OS X. If it bugs you that much there is no point stuffing around....'cause after the reinstall you can be 100% sure everything is back to normal.

Just my 2c.

3. Aneef macrumors regular

Aneef

It would help if you post the screenshot of "Output" Tab in the "Sound" option in "Preferences".

4. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sure the output is fine - I had a bit of phone tech support - it is 44,000 or whatever.

5. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for replying. If I do the full OS X reinstall, will it wipe out my itunes library. I want my itunes library to remain in the exact format it is in.

6. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

Also, will simply upgrading to Yosemite also fix the problem?

7. Aneef macrumors regular

Aneef

I asked you to post the screenshot as I had the same problem with Boom 2 app. The audio stopped playing due to unknown reasons. I somehow figured out the reason by changing the output sound device. That's why wanted to see if you've got the same prob

8. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

Attached Files:

9. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

OP: The picture you attached shows that the Sound Output is Muted.

10. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

That was from last night. The muting isn't the issue.

Attached Files:

11. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

Another question: I need to free up some GB in my computer - I have only about 20 left. My itunes takes up about 120 GB. I want to retain the alphabetical list view of my itunes library exactly as it is within the itunes interface - is it possible to transfer it to an external HD and retain this so I can delete it from my computer? Thank you.

12. MushroomMan macrumors member

MushroomMan

I am pretty sure that the "iTunes Music Library.xml" is the super important file which holds all your playlist information and the way you have your music organised. So, if you move your 120GB of Audio files and that very important *.xml file to another location, I believe everything will function as it did before.

But, I am no expert so lets wait for a guru to confirm - I wouldn't want you to cause any dramas to your iTunes!

13. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

I suppose I could copy it instead of cut it and see what it does.
    Do you have any comments on the sound issue in my computer as per the thread?
    Will upgrading to Yosemite solve this? ie wipe or unload drivers or whatever is associated with Boom?

14. MushroomMan macrumors member

MushroomMan

Sorry - I don't have anything constructive to add about the sound issue due to the fact that I believe software can not improve hardware.... and as such have never used any "virtual audio" improvement apps or anything like that.

What kind of audio files are you using - are they compressed (MP3) or not (AIFF/WAV)?

I certainly notice a night and day difference when using proper audio files which are not compressed.

Also, I assume you have tried the built in "Volume increase" thingy in iTunes?

15. cindyjj thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think you have understood the issue. I downloaded the free version of Boom to enhance the volume in my computer - it did actually enhance it a bit. Then I purchased an upgraded version Boom 2. After download that, the sound on my computer has not worked properly - not loud or not loud - but tinny and difficult to understand. I did a proper uninstall and it didn't help. It is not the hardware of the computer that is the problem.

16. MushroomMan macrumors member

MushroomMan

No software can enhance the physical power output of speakers.

Speakers are built with a set power rating and that is it - the rest is just software trickery. So in this case I have no idea about Boom? - maybe you could check on the Boom forums.... I would imagine other users of Boom 2 are experiencing the same problems as you, so somebody should have a solution there.

Good luck!