Macbook Pro Sound Issues - Interference?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrJM, Jan 15, 2012.

1. MrJM macrumors 6502

MrJM

Hi everyone!

I've been reading these forums for a while now and the time has come where I need some assistance!

I recently purchased a Macbook Pro 13 inch i5 (the latest one available). Im having an issue with the macbook and the headphone port. As soon as I plug in my usb hard drive into the macbook, I get a constant crackling/static type noise on the speakers/headphones Im using. It stops as soon as I eject the drive.

Ive tried looking around for an answer but can't seem to see anything. Apologies if this has been discussed before.

Thanks,

MrJM

2. simsaladimbamba

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Does it happen on battery or plugged in? This is usually due to a ground loop, if that's the case, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

4. MrJM thread starter macrumors 6502

MrJM

Hi.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes it does happen with both ports. It also happens if I use a USB hub or the drive is plugged straight in.

Thanks!

5. MrJM thread starter macrumors 6502

MrJM

Hi again.

For anyone who is interested I managed to solve the problem. The issue was the power pack on the hard drive. I didn't have a ferrite core on it (the big lump on the wire). Switching the power pack to one that did fixed the issue.

Apparently the ferrite core blocks the interference. Hope this may come in handy for someone else! :)