Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeiter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Canada
I am currently having problems with my keyboard settings. When I try and do "á" it turns out to be this instead "∂" how can i fix this problem?

On this website, it says:

To get accents on the Mac, hold down the Option key, and while holding it down, type the letter e; then release those keys and type the letter that you want the accent to appear on:

* á = Opt + e, then a
* é = Opt + e, then e
* í = Opt + e, then i
* ó = Opt + e, then o
* ú = Opt + e, then u

then when I just do Opt+e it gets me this ∂ and i can't enter the following letter..:(

thank you very much :)*

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Well, what you're actually getting is the "curly d" symbol for partial derivatives, which is usually achieved using opt-d.

A couple of dumb questions:

1. You are actually hitting opt-e, right? I only ask this because "d" is awfully close to "e".

2. This is a U.S. English keyboard, correct? And you're sure it's set to be using English? Maybe try turning on Keyboard Viewer (use System Preferences --> International to turn it on and then select it from the input menu bar item) and take a look to make sure things are mapped correctly and watch what's lighting up as you type.

zeiter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Canada
Well, what you're actually getting is the "curly d" symbol for partial derivatives, which is usually achieved using opt-d.

A couple of dumb questions:

1. You are actually hitting opt-e, right? I only ask this because "d" is awfully close to "e".

2. This is a U.S. English keyboard, correct? And you're sure it's set to be using English? Maybe try turning on Keyboard Viewer (use System Preferences --> International to turn it on and then select it from the input menu bar item) and take a look to make sure things are mapped correctly and watch what's lighting up as you type.

I'm using French Canadian keyboard....and yes I do Opt+e and it gives me ∂ because Opt+d gives me ª

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I'm using French Canadian keyboard....and yes I do Opt+e and it gives me ∂ because Opt+d gives me ª

Ah, there we go. The French Canadian layout is different for symbols. You can open Keyboard Viewer as I described above to see where things are.

For the acute accent that you want, you'll need to use Shift-Option-; on a French Canadian layout.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.