macbook pro spanish character problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeiter, Sep 30, 2008.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

I am currently having problems with my keyboard settings. When I try and do "á" it turns out to be this instead "∂" how can i fix this problem?

On this website, it says:

To get accents on the Mac, hold down the Option key, and while holding it down, type the letter e; then release those keys and type the letter that you want the accent to appear on:

* á = Opt + e, then a
    * é = Opt + e, then e
    * í = Opt + e, then i
    * ó = Opt + e, then o
    * ú = Opt + e, then u

then when I just do Opt+e it gets me this ∂ and i can't enter the following letter..:(

thank you very much :)*

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Well, what you're actually getting is the "curly d" symbol for partial derivatives, which is usually achieved using opt-d.

A couple of dumb questions:

1. You are actually hitting opt-e, right? I only ask this because "d" is awfully close to "e".

2. This is a U.S. English keyboard, correct? And you're sure it's set to be using English? Maybe try turning on Keyboard Viewer (use System Preferences --> International to turn it on and then select it from the input menu bar item) and take a look to make sure things are mapped correctly and watch what's lighting up as you type.

3. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm using French Canadian keyboard....and yes I do Opt+e and it gives me ∂ because Opt+d gives me ª

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Ah, there we go. The French Canadian layout is different for symbols. You can open Keyboard Viewer as I described above to see where things are.

For the acute accent that you want, you'll need to use Shift-Option-; on a French Canadian layout.