MacBook Pro Speakers?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Orlandoech, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

What are some good speakers under $300 for the MBP? I tried out the following:

Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II - Didnt care for the sound they put out.

M-Audio AV30 - Good sound, but were way too large for my small desk.

I need a smaller footprint, excellent sounding set of 2.0 Speakers. Im debating the Bose Computer MusicMonitors ($299) and the Palo Alto Audio Design Cubik Digital Hi-Fi Multimedia Speakers.

Any other suggestions or input?

2. genexrocket macrumors regular

I've got the Logitech z2300's with my MBP and love 'em. They just updated it with the Z623 system. They look different but the reviews from Amazon say that they still bring the same top-notch quality as the previous generation.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

How big can you go? I'm using Yamaha HS50M's personally and love them, but if your desktop is cramped, even though they are small, they are still studio monitors and have a larger footprint.

4. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

I'll also chime in here and say that both the Z2300's and the Z623's are amazing speakers if you've got room for them. The Z623's sound a bit clearer though in my opinion. The only thing with these sets is that they are 2.1 and not 2.0.

For 2.0, Bose makes some pretty good products along with Altec Lansing. The best way to find a set of speakers that will meet your needs is to listen to them first hand.

Best of luck with your purchase! :)

5. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I personally have the Corsair SP2500 speakers and they sound great. Dunno if the sub will be larger than what you were thinking though. Come in at $200 on Amazon.

6. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

I personally went with Altec Lansing's expressionist bass which are essentially 4" subwoofers with built in midrange. They don't have tweeters, so i'm not sure if they're right for you, but they definitely increase sound quality in a small footprint.

7. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

The difference in quality between your average $100 set of powered speakers and the $300 set of powered speakers is not that significant if you ask me. To get a big jump in quality for non-reference speakers, you are looking at buying passive speakers and a separate power amp and spending a lot more money in my opinion.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to even suggest it, but have you listened to the Bose Companion Series 2 speakers? They are about $100 and they actually sound good for most applications. They are also not hideous and relatively small.

What exactly are you looking to use the speakers for?

I would suggest against the HS50M's unless you are doing reference listening. They are not suited for casual listening or gaming, and the response curve, which is relatively flat, could pose problematic (standing waves, phase cancellation) in a room that is not acoustically treated. I have a pair (along with two other sets of near-field reference monitors) and think they are great, but I would not use them for general computing or casual listening.

If they work for you, great.

8. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

I agree that studio monitors are best used for reference listening, but I don't think there's a problem with listening to music you are not mixing on them either. Unless they are poorly mastered, they should sound good on them too.

9. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I disagree. From experience, most final masters are targeted for cheap speakers and headphones, which generally have a low-midrange bump in the response curve (400Hz range) and lack high frequency response. The average mix takes that into account and boosts the low bass and the high frequencies.

That is why a CD or mp3 sounds like garbage on a set of $3k studio monitors with a flat response in a mix room but sound fine on $10 ear buds.

10. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

11. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

Why would anyone ever pay more than $10 for ear buds if this is the case, then? I don't know what you're listening to but I think anything played on cheap ear buds or speakers sounds like garbage.

While I do not have experience with the monitors in question, I use studio monitor headphones to do all my mixing as well as listening and I like the sound of it.

12. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

13. Orlandoech, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Just speakers to listen to music with and thats it. I dont want 2.1 because I live in an apartment and dont want my neighbors freaking out.

I really liked the sound of the M-Audio AV40s they just are huge. I picked up the Bose Companion 3s and they have too much bass even with the sub turned all the way down. The satellites sound sooo flat in comparison to the AV40s too.

I was looking at keeping the AV40s or possibly the Palo Alto Cubik Hi-Fi Speakers. Im still confused. The A2s seem like they are good too. Any input?

14. Orlandoech, Jun 11, 2011

Orlandoech

This are also huge like the AV40s and have no controls on the front :(

I have the desktop space, just wanted a smaller footprint but it looks like if I want some good sound I need to give up more desktop space unless I go 2.1 which I dont want to do because of Bass disturbing lame neighbors.

How do the AV40s compare to the A2s?

15. palpatine macrumors 68040

i live in a condo. i don't own speakers. in fact, i first got noise canceling headphones because my neighbors had speakers. unfortunately, nothing short of earplugs helped me escape from the bass. please do not get speakers....if you live in a condo or an apartment. your neighbors will thank you :)

16. Orlandoech, Jun 11, 2011

Orlandoech

Dont want headphones.

So it comes down to

M-Audio AV40s - $119
    AudioEngine A2s - $199
    Palo Alto Design Cubik Hi-Fi Speakers - $199

All $199 or less. What do you guys recommend and why? How do the AV40s compare to the A2s? Also, for $119 on sale are the AV40s that much worse than the A2s @ $199?

17. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Any input on the M-Audio AV40s vs the AudioEngine 2s? Which sound better overall? I know the A2s have a slightly smaller footprint.

anyone have heard both and can give me some advice?

18. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i would have to go with the boose companion 5
    ok at £299, they are a little dearer than the logitech - but the sound is unrivaled IMHO

19. randomrazr macrumors 65816

harman kardon soundsticks hand down best for quality and value