Macbook Pro speed decrease!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iQuit, Apr 24, 2007.

1. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

Without the battery inside of my Macbook Pro it is undoubtably 1.0 GHz under the program CoreDuoTemp. Can anyone explain why this is?

2. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

Firmware bug. Apple states that it is needed for reserve power, which isn't true as the charge can both run the computer at full speed and charge the battery.

It is unlikely that this bug will be resolved, so just put the battery back in and occasionally use the battery to insure that it doesn't get damaged from always being fully charged.

3. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

4. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Several theories on this one but nothing confirmed to my knowledge.

A safety feature some would say.

5. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

That's my best guess, Apple says something along these lines:

"Machine slows down without battery.
    Leave battery in, machine is full speed, won't lose any work during power loss."

I am wondering if the MacBooks suffer the same fate. Hmmm, I'll ask me friend soon if I could try it out on his.

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

The other day I thought about getting a MBP + ACD instead of a Mac Pro or iMac. But as a almost 100% dedicated desktop I wanted to take the battery out and run it off power to keep from killing the battery or unplugging it/running it down/charging it up cycle. Then I found out about the 1ghz thing and said no way. They say it's so if the cord is tripped you could lose all your work, safety precaution. i.e. It won't get changed.

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

So it is true.

I've installed CoreDuoTemp, and true to life as soon as the battery was popped it changed to "2.33 GHz" from "1.0 GHz".

What I don't get is that everything behaves the same, nothing feels faster. I ran the trial of Photoshop CS3, messed with it quickly, but it still has the exact same response.

Something else I've noticed is that I can't run Doom 3 on the battery alone. It works as soon as I plug in the power (with the battery still in) and works without the battery (obviously with AC in). What I don't get is that the performance is pretty much exactly the same. I thought that doom 3 and quake 4 are more cpu intensive, so why is the performance the same in both scenarios?

I'll run some more tests.

8. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure