Macbook pro speed vs Macbook air ssd. please help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by georgeambler, Jul 7, 2009.

1. georgeambler macrumors newbie

Hi Guys
    First post here.
    Back in December I bought a lovely 2.53ghz unibody macbook pro 4gb ram 9600gt 512mb and 320gb 5200 hdd and apples 24" LED screen.

Its great, fast powerful and quiet (and sort of portable) I used to have an imac but thought i can replace it with this set up as if I need to use it round the house and out on the road I could (i didn't do allot of traveling then)

Now tho I do allot more traveling and need to take a laptop to work, so i got the new macbook air 2.16 128gb ssd.

Now the problem, it is twice as fast at opening applications and files. maybe it doesn't have the raw power and graphics the macbook pro has but it feels so sluggish now in normal everyday computing.

So what can I do? put a SSD in my macbook pro? If so which one? a 256gb is more than enough storage i think if not another 320gb ish ssd?

Any ideas guys?

2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Hey, welcome to MacRumors!:D I would just use your Air for everything then. I you really need two computers, yes, putting in a 256 GB SSD is fine. Also consider WD's Scorpio Blue and Black HD's which are also really fast. Hope this helps, and welcome!:cool:

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

One thing to note, SSD write speeds aren't as fast as HDD write speeds. Don't get too blinded by the launch times however for day to day use SSD will be much better for snappier operations as well the reliability since there are no moving parts.
    256GB is quite expensive, although it doesn't sound like you're hurtin' for money very much since you can buy such expensive Macs back to back. ;)
    If you have to do a lot of encoding or rendering of videos and photos it will be to your benefit to stick with the drive inside your Macbook Pro and upgrade to an SSD later on when the quality of the write speeds get better. Right now SSD is more beneficial for slower performing computers in terms of speed.
    And BTW, welcome to Macrumors Forums. Dive in, safely.

4. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

If you have the cash why not? If you don't mind the higher price and lower capacity - Intel offers one of the fastest SSDs available on the market right now.