Macbook Pro Spinning Beach Ball Freezing Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DanielCalladine, Feb 27, 2010.

1. DanielCalladine macrumors member

Hello,

I've just upgraded my 15" MBP from the original 250Gb drive to a 500Gb WD5000BEVT drive. Since the upgrade the OS has been constantly locking up for about 10 seconds at a time, it seems to lock up until the HDD spins up again, so it feels like the HDD isn't spinning up when it's supposed to.

I do remember something about Apple's internal sudden motion sensor conflicting with the hard drives own internal sensor but I thought they had addressed this with an update.

I have gone back to the original HDD and everything's okay again so I don't think there's any issue with the laptop.

Is it possible that this drive isn't compatible with this laptop?

Regards, Daniel

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have this drive in an earlier MBP and it works flawlessly

But you are apparently not alone

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=862852

I believe the motion sensor issues usually produced a Kernel Panic, but that doesn't mean it would be the only issue

Link to article

I suppose it is possible you got a bad drive
    Have you run any hardware diagnostics on the drive itself?

There seems to be quite a bit of discussion about this on the 'net itself
    But I have yet to find a consistent solution

3. DanielCalladine thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply,

I've had a look at the thread you mentioned and it appears that a lot of people are having this problem.

Does this mean that I can't upgrade the hard drive in this laptop?

What about the MBPs that come customised with the 500gb drives installed, is there something different about these laptops/drives to make them work?

Thanks again, Daniel

4. binarydev macrumors newbie

You can just disable the motion sensor, it has been discussed here before MRoogle it. People have plenty of success with aftermarket drives, as long as the laptop's sudden motion sensor is disabled(via terminal) or the aftermarket drive does not contain one.

5. DanielCalladine thread starter macrumors member

I did try that but it didn't make any difference, I don't think that the wd5000bevt has an internal SMS?

6. TennisandMusic

Yes, this is exactly what it means. I went through several drives on my macbook pro 15" and each one made the machine unusable. You can only use the drives with Apple firmware on them. This is a known problem since the release of the mid 09 models, and will not be fixed. The Apple boards have huge huge threads on this issue.

You basically cannot upgrade the MBP hard drive and have your machine work properly. Just accept it to avoid any more agony, and use the original drive.

7. TennisandMusic

No, this is incorrect. Disabling the motion sensor does not fix the issue. There is no fix for this issue, I went through this myself for quite awhile. The machines work great with the supplied hard drives, but you cannot add an aftermarket drive.

8. DanielCalladine thread starter macrumors member

Really, so no one's able to upgrade their hard drive?

Surely that's quite a big deal isn't it, I thought most people did it themselves??

I wish I had ordered it with a larger drive now then!

9. psound macrumors member

This is getting ridiculous. Can't upgrade the HD??

Freezing every time you encode a video or play a game.

These new MBPs are looking like a lot of hassle.