Macbook Pro Spitting Out DVDs...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac17, May 19, 2009.

1. mac17 macrumors regular

My macbook pro 2.2 GHz stopped reading DVDs it tries to read it for a few seconds and then it just spits it out on its own, any help would be appreciated!
    Heres what it says on the system profiler if its any use.
    ATA Bus:

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857E:

Model: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857E
    Revision: ZA0E
    Serial Number:
    Detachable Drive: No
    Protocol: ATAPI
    Unit Number: 0
    Socket Type: Internal
    Low Power Polling: Yes
    Power Off: Yes

2. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

Had the same MBP, same issue. I went and got a Memorex CD/DVD Lens cleaner from Walgreens. Even through it said not for laptops, it worked great.

3. mac17 thread starter macrumors regular

your talking about one of those DVD cleaners where You pop in the disc and let it spin for a bit? How long after is it still working because Im sacred its a hardware problem and my superdrive is failing.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I have a similar problem on my Combo Drive on my Powerbook. It won't read CDs, but has no problem with DVDs. The last time I had the problem, I borrowed my aunts lens cleaning disc, with physical brushes on it, and it worked for a few months. I'm actually going to get one of my own so I can actually play my Risk and Scrabble games again, so at least try the lens cleaner, and if that doesn't work, see if an Apple Store or Authorized Repair center can solve your problem.

TEG

5. mac17 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks!... the worst part is that im in Israel right now in college and I dont think there is any apple or authorized stores here so Id have to wait until I get back to NY, hope the cleaning disc works!

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Yes, there's one. Go to iDigital in Tel Aviv...I forget the name of the mall it's located in. מזל טוב!

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

those cleaning disc can really do wonders. they solved about 90% of customer DVD player problems when i worked at Best Buy. They are just a simple but effective product.

8. The General macrumors 601

Go directly to the Genius Bar. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

9. mac17 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! If the disc doesn't work I'll deff go there.. Only thing is I'm out of warrenty it's prob going to cost like $200 to fix :(