Macbook Pro - Spring 2010 Edition Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ccashman92, Aug 1, 2010.

1. ccashman92 macrumors regular

Hey, everyone. I'm new here and need help with my new Macbook Pro. I have a 15' Macbook Pro with i7 and I'm experiencing freezing issues, background issues, and a clicking sound coming from a pressure point on the bottom of the frame.

I bought this computer back in late April and every since I got it I've been having more and more problems. This is a $2.5k MBP and I feel like I wasted my money.

Recently, I've noticed more than before that it tends to freeze a lot. Which is quite ridiculous seeing that is a 2.66 i7 Processor. Also, there is a point on the bottom of the MBP that if I put pressure on it and pull off it will make a clicking noise. And when I start the MBP it makes a loud noise which I don't know if that is normal or not. And the background to my mac sometime get little spots where it has lil pieces of an app I just shut down. It is very strange.

Please help and give advice. Should I take it back to Apple? Should I try to figure out the problem myself?

2. slideworks macrumors member

slideworks

Where is this point located? Can you post a pic?

3. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Take it back to Apple. The clicking sound is worrisome. Others have reported it. Some people say it's the hard drive SMS clicking on, but if that is actually what the noise is, it's probably defective, as it should never be clicking on and off while sitting on a flat surface.

The freezing I'd be less concerned about. That may just be a software issue.

4. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Dump it like it's hot. Take it back, as it is from April you will just have to play Apple's game and let them try to repair it and figure it out. If it was new then you would have gotten a new exchanged one directly. You should never do Apple's quality control. That is their job.

As for the problems.

• clicking sound is from a bracket that rubs the bottom. See other posts about this. Have apple remove it or fix it.
    • Sound at boot up is from the dvd player checking if a disc is in it
    • the freezing IS the problem you should take it back
    • the screen problem is from bad ram and bad graphics drivers. This is also a reason to get a repair or replacement from Apple.

5. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Without pics there is not much we can do but probably the best idea is to bring it back to the apple store for repair as it's still under warranty

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The OP has had his MBP for 4 months, it's not exactly new as he mentioned in his OP. That being said if he's had so many issues over 4 months it should be a no-brainer to take it up with Apple.

7. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

So, most likely all just RAM issues? I wish I could post pictures but I don't have a working camera and I can't take screenshots cause it freezes.

What should I say to the Apple guy? I took it in before I read this and he told me the freezing and background issues was a software glitch and to re-install everything. I went home and did but that didn't work. The background glitch is rare, but the freezing happens pretty often.

He also told me the noise was the HDD starting, not the disc drive. I believe it is the disc drive, not the HDD. Also, he said the clicking is normal but he'd look at it. So he proceeded to the back to take it apart. He fixed it but he also chipped and scratched the bottom of my Macbook Pro.

What should I do now? Go in and complain? Tell them I know its the RAM? Help!!

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If reinstalling didn't fix it, it's definitely a hardware issue. Take it in, or call Apple to have them fix it.

9. MrCooperS macrumors member

Sorry, I can't tell you what's causing your problems.

But I can tell you this: My MacBook Pro i7 AG HR 4GB RAM 500GB HD froze up ONCE with the gray screen and 2 times where nothing was reactive (instant freeze) within 1 month of purchase (couple days ago). I made a appointment at the genius bar last night. Backed it up via Time Machine. Went into the store today. Told them about the 3 freezes I had. They ran a diagnostic. Couldn't find out what the problem was. Then they told me that they'll switch it out and give me a brand new MacBook Pro with the same spec. :cool: So now I'm sitting here with a brand new MacBook Pro with essentially the same hardware and same software.

Granted, your machine is about 4 months old. But it is still under Applecare and it NEVER hurts to bring it in and have them take a look at it. ;)

10. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, I'll take it back, ASAP. Do you know what I should say to them? Cause the last guy tried everything he could do to get around working on it.

11. Arcanezxz macrumors newbie

You should tell the Apple employee to either fix it to your satisfaction or replace it. Give no quarter on this, you paid $2.5K!!

12. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

That is true, I don't want to be rude though. But I did spend all that money and I'm going to college. So I need my laptop working at 100%. So I guess it is just necessary.

13. MrCooperS macrumors member

Make an appointment. Don't just walk in. Be polite. I often joke around with the Genius. Last night, I said "I love this Mac, I can't get away from it, but not when it's crashing on me! :D" Be nice. Tell them what's happening. "My MacBook Pro crashed X amount of times, it's also doing this, this and this while I was doing this. It's only 4 months old. I use it for x amount of work and need it to be a bit more reliable. Could you check it out and make sure everything is functional?" Worked out for me :D;)

14. aohus macrumors 68000

has NOTHING to do with your RAM. most likely its due to a faulty hard drive. That clicking sound you're hearing is probably from the HDD spinning its platters.

As for the employee that scratched the bottom of your MBP, how bad is it? if its dented bad enough i'd complain about it. if its a minor scratch no issue.

is your system freezing randomly? every time you boot up? how frequently?

15. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

It wasn't the HDD that was clicking. And the shattered pieces of an old window on your background is a RAM/graphic driver issue, search it on Google.

It freezes randomly. Usually while I'm on Safari, iTunes, and Mail. If I load a video and play music it will freeze on occasion. Not every time. But it will also freeze on random times when I don't have anything up or if I just booted up.

16. torpy macrumors regular

Exact same freezing issues here, started last night. It wouldn't even let me login (froze on boot) with graphical glitches all over the place this morning. Same issues in Windows so I'm deadsure it's not a software glitch in OS X. I'm taking mine into the store next week, this is a crazy issue.

In the meantime, I've heard turning off automatic graphics switching helps, or even limiting to the intel card somehow...

17. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm taking mine in this after-noon. Hopefully we can figure it out and I'll let you know how it goes.

18. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Good luck. And the sound you hear when its starting up, is the Optical drive, not the Hrd drive, so you are right, and the so called "Genius" was wrong. I wonder what the training in CA for them at Apple's HQ is like. Or maybe they don't pay attention to the trainer.

19. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

They train the people here in Annapolis for our store. I have a friend who works there and he says they just make you memorize troubleshooting and etc. You also have to take a test and stuff.

The issue was in fact the RAM. He thinks one of the sticks is messed up and not working properly. And since the other one works, this makes the computer act like nothing is wrong most of the time. Parts will be in Fri-Sat. Thanks for all the help guys!!