MacBook Pro SR 2.2 won't boot from USB drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shoelessone, Oct 11, 2009.

1. shoelessone macrumors 6502

Hi all!

I've searched, but I can't find a solid answer/resolution/etc for this issue I'm having.

My MBP 2.2 SR has a bad DVD drive, and I'd like to install leopard on it.

I used my girlfriends MacBook Unibody to make an 8gb USB flash drive that I have "bootable", following a number of guides. Basically, I partitioned the flash drive, set it to GUID, and did a "restore" on it. Long story short, I did it right as when I insert it into my girlfriends MacBook Unibody and restart while holding the Option key I am given the option of booting into the flash drive. If I do this, everything goes as normal and I'm given the option to install OSX Snow Leopard.

HOWEVER, on my MacBook Pro SR I do not get this option. In fact it seems as though the USB drive is not even "polled" or accessed as the little status light on the USB drive does not blink as it hsould if it is being accessed.

I'm wondering if I"m screwed, or if by some miracle there is some sort of setting (bios or otherwise) that will tell my MBP to actually check the damn USB ports for something plugged into it!

Thanks in advance for any help, I certainly appreciate it! (even if somebody can tell me with solid knowledge to back it up that this particular model doens't do well with booting from USB, etc.)

2. shoelessone thread starter macrumors 6502

Mods, should this perhaps be moved to the MacBook forum?