MacBook Pro SR got a new graphics card, overnight..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zw42a, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Zw42a macrumors member

When I opened my MacBook Pro SR this morning the screen stayed black. First I thought I left the brightness off since I use it together with my Cinema Display but I couldn't put it up.

The computer seemed to work since I heard I got new mail so I hooked it up to the external display, didn't work either. Even a restart didn't work.

After a bit of a hassle I managed to turn on screen sharing on my laptop so I could access it through my roommates MBP.

This is what I found:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems that my MBP changed his graphics card overnight :confused:

I'll go to the Apple Store tomorrow to see what is going on. Can it be that this has got something to do with the 8600m GT problem discussed here?

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

3. fs454 macrumors 68000

That's exactly your problem. Your 8600GT crapped the bed.

I had the same exact thing and went in with a printout of the GMA X3100 screenshot, that big thread, Dell's warranty extensions/recalls regarding the issue, and Nvidia's press release, and I got a free logic board replacement out of warranty.

They gave me no options after repair though, I asked because I'm still concerned that the new one will fail sooner or later and they really didn't have a response.

This sucks. Mine did get repaired in one day though.

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

6. fs454 macrumors 68000

As bad as it sounds, I really hope they all start failing now, I bought my MBP during the same month as the OP, 15 months must be the break point.

If they all start failing, Apple will finally do something about it and make it so I don't feel incredibly insecure about a $2500 investment that I'm now babying.

7. Zw42a thread starter macrumors member

Just came back from the Apple Store. They're gonna fix it this week, for FREE! I got an extension on my warranty after a phonecall to Apple, NICE!

But I'll be buying the next MacBook Pro that comes out (two weeks?) because I'm not really comfortable with this one anymore.

Thanks for the replies. For now I'll be working on my old G4 :)

8. Zw42a thread starter macrumors member

Finally got my MBP back. They fixed it by replacing the motherboard (with the GPU on it) and cleaned my fans for me. All free, without warranty or Apple Care!

Now I know why I've been an Apple user these last years :D

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sorry I already stole it. :p

11. Habusho macrumors 6502